Early Moring Smoke

Started by gotbbq, March 01, 2005, 01:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gotbbq

simmy-

I used cheese cloth and ground the beans first.  I made a thin layer and after smoking put in a vacuum bag to jam all the smoke into the coffee.  Nice cowboy flavor[^][^][^]

gotbbq

psdubl07

MW, I now remember seeing that one time.  i didn't know the dude was from Japan though.

I'm still curious to how to smoke the vinegar....anyone? Anyone?  Bueller?

Cold Smoke

Got me??? Stupid Canuck thinks ....(long pause)........put vinegar in bowl and add smoke for couple hours......[?][?][8][8][?][?]

Cold Smoke

gotbbq

psdubl07-
Ive never smoked vinegar but have an extensive background in spices.  Suggestion- Powdered vinegar and then smoked in cheesecloth, then rehydrated <font color="red">OR</font id="red"> powdered vinegar mixed with powdered smoke.  The powdered smoke is significantly better than liquid smoke and significantly worse that real smoke[^][^][^]

gotbbq

psdubl07

Next time I'm in there I'll try to get the scoop on how they do it and let you guys know.

psdubl07

Here's what I was able to get out of the owner re smoked vinegar:

- They fill a large stainless steel tub with vinegar and spices.
- Smoke it for 24 hours during which time it reduces quite a bit.
- Smoke it using Mesquite wood.

Now, I don't know if they are actually smoking it the whole 24 hour period, but it kind of sounded like they were.  
I think he would have been open to sharing more with me, but they were pretty busy. (Not surprising given the taste of my Southwestern marinated chicken breast burger, complete w/ house-smoked bacon, guacamole, black beans, mayo etc.....) [:p]

psdubl07

Also, the coffee recipe rub I posted the link to earlier in the thread was VERY good.  It actually won out over the bacon-wrapped tenderloin.  As an interesting side-note, the coffee rub tenderloin was no less moist than the one with bacon wrapped around it.