12 Rack SSBS

Started by BigJohnT, October 14, 2009, 07:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

I'd help, but I don't drink and drill.

Looks great.

classicrockgriller

a cple of smokes and it will look like a factory job.

OU812

Now thats a good idea you came up with Big John.

I do the inverted rack thing when I do snack sticks and the top ones are a pain in the rear when its time to rotate, the sticks want to roll off if you dont have a steady hand.

BigJohnT

Thanks, from the first time I did jerky with the automagic controller and 8 racks I was pondering how to ease the pain of trying to juggle the upside down racks and get more in there. Everything worked real well except my choice of screws. The Phillips head ones were not sharp enough and were real easy to strip out. I didn't drill any holes just put my template under it and kinda pressed hard on the cordless and tried to stop before the screw head hit home. They make a special "sharp point" screw for thin sheet metal but I couldn't find any real fast. Other than the screws the whole job went well and I excited about smoking 4 flank steaks worth of jerky at once...

Here is a shot showing how I used the template to line up the next rail.

full steam ahead on Kielbasa you say...

John

OU812

Can I barrow your template ?  :D

Could you give some dimensions ?

BigJohnT

I used 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/16 aluminum angle from McMaster-Carr and the template is 1 1/4 high and 9" long. Cut three templates to make sure you have your spacing correct. If you can fit  the three templates and the two rails between the stock rails then your good to go. I think Scott wants the template next  ;D

I'm thinking of making up a few kits... if there is any one interested.

John

OU812

smokeitall

Very cool John, I will take a look at it tomorrow when I deliver your newest toy   ;)  ;D
SIA

Quarlow

Hey do you guys have Robertson head screws and screwdrivers south of the border. If not I think I might have tried pop rivets.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Quarlow on October 14, 2009, 06:00:06 PM
Hey do you guys have Robertson head screws and screwdrivers south of the border. If not I think I might have tried pop rivets.

Yup, we can get them Quarlow and they work great. I think most people here call it a square drive. I've used a lot of the # 2 size.
HawkeyeSmokes

HawkeyeSmokes

That looks great BJT! Have you thought about adding a fan on top of your smoker to pull air out when your not smoking, just drying? Got to thinking about it and with the modifications you have done, it might speed up drying times, kind of the way the Cabelas 80L dehydrator works? Seems like drying sausage before smoking or drying jerky after smoking should be a little faster. Just some food for thought as I know you like to improve things. Once again, great job!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

BigJohnT

Quote from: smokeitall on October 14, 2009, 05:31:39 PM
Very cool John, I will take a look at it tomorrow when I deliver your newest toy   ;)  ;D
SIA

and we will be a mixing now  ;D

I have 4 rails left from that batch... I have some more on the way along with some different screws.

John

BigJohnT

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 14, 2009, 06:15:22 PM
That looks great BJT! Have you thought about adding a fan on top of your smoker to pull air out when your not smoking, just drying? Got to thinking about it and with the modifications you have done, it might speed up drying times, kind of the way the Cabelas 80L dehydrator works? Seems like drying sausage before smoking or drying jerky after smoking should be a little faster. Just some food for thought as I know you like to improve things. Once again, great job!  ;D

Kinda like a small vent fan on top that can plug into the accessory outlet on my smoker controller. I think I have one around here somewhere that is 120vac... That's a good idea Hawk.

Thanks
John

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 14, 2009, 06:29:16 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 14, 2009, 06:15:22 PM

Kinda like a small vent fan on top that can plug into the accessory outlet on my smoker controller. I think I have one around here somewhere that is 120vac... That's a good idea Hawk.

Thanks
John

That's just what I'm thinking John. I remember seeing a post from Nepas using one but didn't find it. Hook it up to that controller you have, I would think you will have one awesome drying/smoking machine! And an extra 8 racks to boot.  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

smokeitall

So John do you think you could fit a flat rack on the top of each of the 12 drop down racks?  I'm assuming theres no more room to turn a regular bradley rack upside down anymore!
SIA