Canadian Bacon?

Started by ArnieM, October 14, 2009, 12:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Here's a link to my local market's sale this week (PDF).  Check the pork loin.  I'm beginning to think Canadian Bacon  ??? ???  Haven't done that before.

http://www.caraluzzis.com/files/catalog(71).pdf
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

Canadian bacon is great.

Remember with curing to weigh each piece and measure the cure for each. You need the right amount of cure by weight.

Once you make your own.... that store bought stuff just kinda doesn't taste as good.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

I'm going to start researching a cure.  I can't order online and wait for it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I'll take a look at http://www.susanminor.org for ideas too.
-- Arnie

FLBentRider

I would look in the yellow pages for sausage supplies.

I just plain can't find it here. The more rural the area (with hunters) the more likely places are to carry it.

In South Florida ? Yeah good luck!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

One more thing....

As far as cure goes, there is "cure" aka cure #1, prague#1, pink salt. This is the full strength stuff that you would use to make "cure mix"

Mortons tender quick is a cure mix. There is also a cure mix recipe in Charcuterie that I use.

You don't want to use cure mix(like MTQ) to make cure mix - that will make it too weak.

I started with Mortons tender quick and then bought some cure#1 and use it to make cure mix.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 14, 2009, 12:47:22 PM

I'll do that.

I just plain can't find it here. The more rural the area (with hunters) the more likely places are to carry it.

I thought you cured your alligators down there  ??? ;D
-- Arnie

pensrock

Habs Canadian Bacon (Loin Bacon) Recipe only calls for MTQ, brown sugar, onion powder and garlic powder. This time I swapped the brown sugar for maple sugar and dusted with black pepper after coming out of the rinse. Pretty simple to make. Also I think he has a 'how to' on the recipe site on making your own MTQ using cure #1.

FLBentRider

Quote from: ArnieM on October 14, 2009, 12:54:04 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on October 14, 2009, 12:47:22 PM

I'll do that.

I thought you cured your alligators down there  ??? ;D

Alligator Ham... Hmmmm....

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

The post that Pens is speaking of, is linked below. It comes form the book "Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing", by Michael Ruhlman, Brian Polcyn. Having some knowledge of TQ, after I saw the recipe I figured it was close to being the same as TQ. After doing some calculations, my haunch proved to be correct.

Basic Dry Cure - Morton's Tender Quick Substitute

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

monty

hey i always see you guys talking about making your own Canadian bacon and i had a question - is "Canadian" bacon the same thing as peameal bacon?

i've seen pictures of Bradley forum members smoked Canadian bacon and it looks very different to what we call Canadian bacon here (here being in Canada!)

here's what i'm talking about. it's definitely brined but i'm not sure if it's smoked.

so when you guys say Canadian bacon do you mean "back bacon"?

i think this is a really a terminology thing. i'm confused  ???
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

FLBentRider

Canada:
Back bacon

USA:
Canadian bacon

Canada:
Belly bacon

USA:
Bacon

It is my understanding that peameal bacon is the loin cured, but not smoked and rolled in cornmeal. I could be wrong.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I have to clarify that in these days, it is hard to define regional cooking styles. These days every area uses a mix style of preparing food. Having said that, I'll try to explain the differences between the styles of Canadian bacon. Canadian bacon in Canada is traditionally not smoke or cooked before hand. Smoking and cooking is more of an American style. Peameal (coarse cornmeal) is a style of Canadian bacon. It cured the same way and the same cut is use (pork loin, called back bacon by our Northern friends). Also you can make Canadian bacon without smoking and without rolling in peameal first. Every time I make my Canadian bacon, prior to smoking I save a huge chunk for peameal.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Quote from: ArnieM on October 14, 2009, 12:36:41 PM
I'm going to start researching a cure.  I can't order online and wait for it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I'll take a look at http://www.susanminor.org for ideas too.

Arnie,

I don't know of anywhere local but I haven't looked all that hard.  I have both Morton's Tender Quick and Pink Salt but I'm away and won't be back til Friday.  If you can't get any by then pm me.

Awhile back there was someone looking for cure in NYC.  I found a place that sold it in the city.  Not sure how far you are willing to drive for it but if you want I can try to find the thread. 

Deb

monty

thanks for the clarification guys

i don't see the smoked/cured variety of pork loin here - peameal is much more prevalent!
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

ArnieM

Thanks for the info Deb.  My search starts tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I have this little guy looking for a home.

I'll probably end up doing about a third of it and freezing the rest.

BTW, that's my hot pepper flake grinder in the background - works well.
-- Arnie