Smoked Turkey Breasts

Started by Bassman, February 08, 2004, 07:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman

SMOKED TURKEY BREAST

Brine:     Per 1 gallon,
    1 gallon of water (use as many as it takes to completely cover bird, deep plastic bucket works best)
        1 Tlb Pepper
         Garlic powder
         Onion powder
         Old Bay
        1 Sprig of fresh rosemary (or 1 tlbs of powdered)
        1 Bay leaf
        1 cup of salt
Used 2 fresh turkey breasts, no wings,4lb & 5lb
   Soak over night, rinse well and pat dry. Apply olive oil & favorite rub, on and under skin but leave skin on. I used this:
   1Tbl Pepper, Onion powder, Salt, Oregano, Emerils Essence. Let sit for 30-45 minutes at room temperature. Pre-heat smoker to 200-220F. Smoke until internal temp is 175F. Approx. 4-5 hrs. Let sit for 10 minutes. Remove breast from bone,slice against the grain.

I alternated bisquetts, between cherry & hickory, every other one.Even my wife noticed how subtle & smooth the smoke flavor was.took 5 hrs to complete because I kept the temp low at first and let it smoke.The meat is moist, tender & suculant!The best batch EVER!![:D][^]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Fuzzybear

Sounds declicious Bassman but..........how long did you smoke it?

(how many pucks?)

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Bassman

As per the last paragraph in previous post,I smoked them 5 hours.Could not tell you how many pucks, I just loaded the feeder tube and let it go.Didn't use a full tube, had about 1/3 left.

Jack

Fuzzybear

I'm sorry, I thought that was the total cook time!

Wow, five hours of cook and smoke![:0]

Glendora, CA - USA!

Bassman

Yes, 5 hours of cook & smoke. And you know what,the smoke flavor was not to strong!

Jack

Chez Bubba

I think you guys will find that because the bisquettes only smolder, not burn, they are not as harsh as other methods. It's not impossible to over-do it, but there's a lot more leeway.

Or, I just like stuff really smokey.[;)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

That's good to hear Bassman - my past experiences involving chunks of wood sometimes put out way to much smoke and like Kirk said, a harsh taste...

Can't wait to start using mine!

Glendora, CA - USA!

Bassman

Fuzzybear, I truly hope you get your smoker soon.I'll admit that you have a lot more patience than I do. By now I would be calling, e-mailing,making a big stink, and if that didn't work, cancelling.[:(!]

Jack

Fuzzybear

Well woohoo!

I finally got my tracking number this morning and my BS is scheduled for delivery on Friday the 13th! (I hope that's not an omen and it works ok!)

Sheriff should be getting his today...it's a race!

I've got a chicken in the freezer along with two pounds of london broil for jerky....c'mon baby, c'mon!

Glendora, CA - USA!

Bassman

<b>MORE BREASTS!!</b> {can that be a bad thing?)soaked in brine the nite before,all rubbed down ready for the smoker.

Jack

Bassman

and the after shot, came out absolutly wonderful!!! Smoked 5 hrs, with hickory.

Jack

Cold Smoke

WOW![:p][^] Does that ever look delicious! I guess I now have to add turkey breasts to my list of "Things to Smoke".

I'm trying Kummok's salmon recipe this weekend- will let you know how it worked out- without the pictures unfortunately.

Cold Smoke

imott

Bassman,

What are the units of measure you used for the pepper & rosemary? There is quite a difference between a tablespoon(tbsp) and a teaspoon(tsp).

Thx
i

Bassman

IMOTT,
It was a Tablespoon of pepper & a Tablespoon of POWDERED Rosemary.A sprig of rosemary is a stem of fresh rosemary.

Jack

imott

Bassman,

Thanks! I guess I guessed right!!! I made the brine last night. And I powdered my own rosemary. Didn't have fresh but did have dried whole(Leave it alone Chez!!!).

Thanks!
i