Tempature slow recovery

Started by Rainmaker, October 15, 2009, 01:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainmaker

A few pictures taken just after smoking the ribs for 4 hrs.  Two of the racks were taken from the freezer and were a little drier that the fresh racks.  Note to myself - always use fresh racks!.  After taking these pictures I boated in cranberry/apple juice for an hour then sauced and heated for another hour.  I think I could have just smoked for 3 hours and they still would have been fine.  The meat fell off the bone when we ate them and those that were fresh were very moist.  Thanks to all who provided advice today

classicrockgriller

They look good. I love ribs.

Thanks for the pics.

Keep notes and what you learned this time use it to make a better smoke next time.

They look good

Quarlow

Ok now you did it Jim. I couldn't hold off.So 2 weeks ago I picked up this pack of ribs.

Pok side ribs brisket removed, 3.6 kgs, $5.98 per kg. cost $21.54 If you want to know the price per pound do the math cause my skills don't include arithmatic. So what is going to be the best way to do these. I have some of Jan's rub that I made or I am open to suggestions. I told My non somking Bro. about them and now I will have to produce. Ok folks give me your best. What did you do Jim those look damn good.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

IMO: let them defrost naturally ie: fridge
remove the membrane alone back side
apply rub (your fav or Jan's is excellent)
wrap in cello and fridge upto 24 hrs
then 3-2-1
if you do it right, they will fall off the bone
if you want to chew a little bit
3-1-1 or until IT is good for you

I hardly ever worry about It on ribs
I look how far the meat has pulled back

Quarlow

Sounds good CRG. Now 3-2-1. Thats 3 hrs smoke, 2 hrs cook and 1 hr ftc with some kind of juice. I think. Damn, Bad memory.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Rainmaker

Hi Quarlow,  I did just as Classicrockgriller described.  I added an extra hour on the initial smoke because it took quite a while for the smoker to return to 225 deg because all four racks were full.  In hindsight I don't think I needed to do that.  I never did take the IT.  I used Jan's rub (a slight variation) and boated usign cranberry apple juice.  I found the fresh ribs more moist than the frozen ribs (not that they weren't good as well) but will always try to use fresh ribs for future smoking.  Good luck

classicrockgriller

3 hrs smoke
2 hrs boating (wrap in foil w/small amt of apple or whatever juice
1 hroutside the boat on bradley

classicrockgriller

you can tent the ribs, I don't ftc ribs

classicrockgriller

frozen ribs or ok....just defrost in fridge

Quarlow

Thanks Jim and CRG. That's what I will do.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

ok....3-2-1
ribs in Bradley....smoke 3 hrs
ribs in foil on bradley....cook for 2 hrs
ribs back on bradley with no foil...cook for 1 hr

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 15, 2009, 11:01:39 PM
ok....3-2-1

Q, you can also put bbq sauce on your ribs for the last hour in the Bradley. I did that last night and they were KEWL.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

OU812

Good looking ribs Jim, glad they worked out for you.

There is a bit of a learning curve when doing ribs.

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 15, 2009, 11:01:39 PM
ok....3-2-1

Q
3..2..1  Is the way I do it also with 3 hr Pecan

Tenpoint5

Quote from: JimV on October 15, 2009, 01:09:06 PM
I'm using 10.5's method. 
Not if you smoked for 4 hours!!!!! :D ;D The ribs looked like they turned out real well for you.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Rainmaker

Sorry 10.5 - a bit of artistic license.  I'm still wondering why it took so long to get the temp back to 225 deg - never did reach that.  I read elsewhere on this site that, if you have the slider hard right, it sometimes doesn't work well.  Will try moving that back a bit next time.  Had ribs for lunch today and they are just as good reheated as they were last night.