Carolina Treet and Chicken Wings?

Started by ArnieM, October 16, 2009, 08:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

My order of CT will be arriving today and I'm planning on chicken wings for Sunday; eldest daughter and son-in-law are coming over.

I most likely won't be smoking due to the cold and rainy weather we've been having.

I've never used CT before.  Does anyone have any suggestions on putting the two together?  I'd like to end up with something like Buffalo wings and maybe Teriyaki wings.

Thanks.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

I have used CT on wings many times, both in the smoker and on the grill.

When using it on the grill I mop the wings every time I turn them till there done.

The CT will set on the wings nicely and the CT has very little sugar in it so it doesn't burn if you keep turning the wings.

pensrock

I think CT would go well with wings but there is no heat in CT so I would mix in some melted butter and cayenne pepper sauce. And maybe add some more garlic. Mmmmmm now I want some.  :)

ArnieM

Thanks guys.  I'm probably end up doing the wings in the oven.  Rain is forecast.  My grill is on an uncovered deck and my SG is still drying out from a couple of days ago when I forgot to cover the OBS.  Or, maybe I'll have my son-in-law help me drag the grill into the garage.  It was covered with snow yesterday  >:(
-- Arnie

OU812

Nice thing about CT you can complament it with about any spice to heat it up, I put Louisiana hot sauce in mine to kick it up a little.

Hopefull Romantic

See what you have started Nepas; A Carolina Treet - a - mania :D

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ArnieM

I tried out some of the CT tonight. 

I opened the bottle and my wife stuck her finger to taste it.  She didn't like it.  I told her "It's not to drink.  That's why we have JD."  I suppose I could have put that finger on the grill for a while ...  ;D

Anyway, we had some thin sliced port cutlets thawed out.  So, I put 'em in a bag with enough CT to coat and marinated for an hour.  Pulled them and gave them a quick rinse and a shake.  Coated in plain bread crumbs mixed with pepper flakes, chipotle, garlic powder and a little onion powder.  Back in the fridge to set a spell.  Fried in canola oil in a cast iron skillet at 350-375 for about 3 minutes per side.

At dinner, she said "These are fantastic.  How did you make them?"  Don't ask.  ;)
-- Arnie

Tenpoint5

Quote from: ArnieM on October 16, 2009, 04:18:44 PM
I tried out some of the CT tonight. 

I opened the bottle and my wife stuck her finger to taste it.  She didn't like it.  I told her "It's not to drink.  That's why we have JD."  I suppose I could have put that finger on the grill for a while ...  ;D

Anyway, we had some thin sliced port cutlets thawed out.  So, I put 'em in a bag with enough CT to coat and marinated for an hour.  Pulled them and gave them a quick rinse and a shake.  Coated in plain bread crumbs mixed with pepper flakes, chipotle, garlic powder and a little onion powder.  Back in the fridge to set a spell.  Fried in canola oil in a cast iron skillet at 350-375 for about 3 minutes per side.

At dinner, she said "These are fantastic.  How did you make them?"  Don't ask.  ;)
They never learn When Momma asks me what I'm making I tell her "FOOD" Ok just don't make it to spicy like you did last time
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Arnie, I use this when I grill wings, that way you don't have to keep flippin the damn things

Just flip the whole basket. Spray with Pam first.

ArnieM

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 16, 2009, 09:23:04 PM
Arnie, I use this when I grill wings, that way you don't have to keep flippin the damn things

Just flip the whole basket. Spray with Pam first.
I try to avoid Pam.  A little oil of your choice in a dish, crumple up a paper towel into it, remove it and coat the racks, grill, whatever.  Less expensive and I KNOW what oil I'm using.

Thanks CRG.  I have something like that for my grill when doing small stuff like shrimp or chipmunks.  I'm going to be doing 8 pounds of wings in the oven.  My son-in-law is bringing some Buffalo sauce from, yep, the Anchor Bar in Buffalo.

I think I'm going to marinate half the wings in CT, the other half plain.  I'll take some pics and see how things come out.  Stay tuned.
-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

ArnieM

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 16, 2009, 11:28:52 PM
you want the Anchor bar recipe

Do you mean "Do I want it?"  Yes.  Are you offering it?
-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

ArnieM

-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

Anchor bar deep fires their wings 350/12 to 14 minutes

Then the sauce is applied in a bowl with a flip method.

The wings are fried naked