Prim Rib Roast/Arnie?

Started by LindaCC, October 16, 2009, 10:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LindaCC

Thanks CRG. I will do longer!!
I think I read someone ask in a post about a rib roast, if they should put a drip pan under it to catch the drippings from going onto the Vtray. It was responded yes that would be a good idea and that with a rib roast with the fat that it could catch a fire. Mine has this good amount of fat cap, should I do that as well?? Or will it keep the smoke from the roast??

HawkeyeSmokes

You will be fine putting a pan under the prime rib. The smoke will circulate up and around it with no problem. Just make sure the pan doesn't cover the entire rack. I would use a foil pan myself because cleaning that pan will be tough.
HawkeyeSmokes

KyNola

Linda,
If you place that roast in the center of the rack, you're in no real danger of a grease fire.  The V-tray is designed that way to channel all the drippings into the water bowl.  The biggest dangers of a grease fire in the Bradley is a long smoke and letting the water bowl go dry or placing the meat on a rack so that it touches the back wall of the cabinet, allowing the fat to run down the wall directly on to the heating element.

You're good to go.  Smoke on!!

KyNola 

LindaCC

Mine is Bone in. 3 Ribs. Was in frig w/ SusieQ Rub 24+ hrs.
Game Plan:
11:00-Roast out of frig. on counter
1:00-fire up Bradley
2:00ish-put roast in Bradley
Out when reaches 138/140 IT
Let roast rest w/tent to preserve outside texture-while enjoying sunset in back yard.
(lots of wiggle room here)
Dinner served

I put together bricks wrapped in foil. 2 in top/front...2 bottom/front

Roast is in: Smoke Rolling

LindaCC

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 17, 2009, 12:04:57 PM
You will be fine putting a pan under the prime rib. The smoke will circulate up and around it with no problem. Just make sure the pan doesn't cover the entire rack. I would use a foil pan myself because cleaning that pan will be tough.
Quote from: KyNola on October 17, 2009, 02:16:30 PM
Linda,
If you place that roast in the center of the rack, you're in no real danger of a grease fire.  The V-tray is designed that way to channel all the drippings into the water bowl.  The biggest dangers of a grease fire in the Bradley is a long smoke and letting the water bowl go dry or placing the meat on a rack so that it touches the back wall of the cabinet, allowing the fat to run down the wall directly on to the heating element.

You're good to go.  Smoke on!!

KyNola 

Thanks HawkeyeSmokes and KyNola
I will let it finish the smoke and when that is done, then I will slip the foil drip pan in. That way it won't hinder smoke and I don't think it will start dripping till it is actually cooked more. I'll try it and report back.

KyNola

Linda,
Unless you're wanting to capture those drippings to make a sauce, there's no need to place the pan under the roast.  Can't wait to see your finished product.  You're making me hungry!

KyNola

LindaCC

OK...you've convinced me. No I don't need to use the drippings. Just thought it would keep them from making a big greasy mess.
But if you all don't do it, I notta gonna either.
Thanks KyNola

classicrockgriller

What do you have temp set at?

What wood you using?

How long you gonna smoke with wood?

What time is supper?

KyNola

Linda,
No doubt your V-tray will be a mess and there's no harm at all in putting the pan underneath to avoid the mess.  I misunderstood your earler post.  I thought you were more concerned about a grease fire.  My apologies.

KyNola

ArnieM

Like CRG asked.

I don't care for rib roast with gravy.  A little au jus from a quality beef broth works for me.  Please send a sample  ;D  And, do show the final pics.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

LindaCC

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 17, 2009, 03:02:05 PM
What do you have temp set at?

What wood you using?

How long you gonna smoke with wood?

What time is supper?

CRG...
Ok, so temp has been set between 240 and 230. Trying to maintain around 235.

Wood-3 pecans/1 Mesquite

Supper around 5:30/6:00

Taking it out at 140- It says 131 right now...
Here's a quick pic mid way:

ArnieM

The roast is lookin' Linda.  And, you have some pretty nice bricks there  :D

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Looks good. the cab temp probe should be on the same rack as your meat. Don't change it now just do that next time.

Also if you open door again try to push in your meat temp prob a little more. Looks like a beautiful day there.

LindaCC

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 17, 2009, 04:40:59 PM
Looks good. the cab temp probe should be on the same rack as your meat. Don't change it now just do that next time.

Also if you open door again try to push in your meat temp prob a little more. Looks like a beautiful day there.

I see what you mean CRG.... on both. Thank you. all these little tips are priceless. Wish I could cyber space you all a big piece.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: LindaCC on October 17, 2009, 05:34:35 PM

I see what you mean CRG.... on both. Thank you. all these little tips are priceless. Wish I could cyber space you all a big piece.

You can do that Linda. I would be more than happy to supply information on the process!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes