Rescue my cheese

Started by KevinG, October 17, 2009, 11:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

OK, here goes another attempt at smoking cheese. I'll be giving a play by play, so stop me before I get myself into another ashtray. So far I went to the store and bought a 1 1/4" X 4" diameter Gouda (7 oz). 6" X 3 1/2" X 1" (12 oz) block of Swiss, 5 3/4" X 3 3/4" X 1 1/2" (16 oz) block of medium cheddar. I've cleaned my Bradley (due to chicken grease splatter) with soap/water and wiped out with a damp sponge. I've set up my cold smoker attachment. I am placing a 12" X 9" X 1 1/2" tray full of ice on the top rack with vent wide open. Then I'm placing my rack with the uncut cheese on the next rack down, and finally placing another 12" X 9" X 1 1/2" tray full of ice on the rack below the cheese. I've filled my water tray 1/2 full of water and will be smoking for 1 hour without heat using 3 apple wood pucks. It is currently 95.5 degrees F outside (35 degrees C) with 6% relative humidity and 27.76 inches of mercury. Wind is from the East at 3.6 mph, with gusts up to 15.9 mph. We are expecting a high temp of 101 degrees F.

Kevin
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

HawkeyeSmokes

Hey Kevin, I think that I would move the tray of ice down. Cool the air before it reaches the cheese. Also, if that pan of ice sweats at all, it will drip on the cheese. It might not do that with the low humidity you have. Monitor the cabinet temp and try to keep it under 90, 80 would be even better. Good luck with it.
HawkeyeSmokes

KevinG

Thanks, I will move ice the tray down to the lower rack. It took me a while to get the Gouda cut out, I never had it before and didn't realize that they packed it in some sort of wax. Had to sneak a taste of each before I started, but nothing big. just a sliver. As of now the cheese is opened and placed on cheese cloth on my jerky rack. Silly me, tried to start the smoker on my DBS 6 rack and forgot to plug in the bypass plug. Got the dreaded E1 error. Correcting now.

Kevin

FLBentRider

IMHO, your ambient temps are too high for cold smoking cheese.

Even with the ice, it will be hard to keep you cabinet temps where you want.

I don't think about cold smoking cheese until the ambient temps are in the 50-60's.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Kevin, where do you live that it is going to be 101 today. And I thought it was hot here.

KevinG

I'm in Apache Junction Arizona, we've had a bit of a warm spell here. I did insert my temperature probe, and unfortunately it is showing 91 in the cabinet now. I'll give it a few minutes to see if it drops, otherwise I might have to finsih this episode tonight.

Kevin

HawkeyeSmokes

Waiting until the sun goes down might be a good idea. From what I remember about living there, this time of year it cools off pretty good at night. I've got the DBS to and plan on getting a couple of plugs to make up a longer sensor wire. Should make it a lot easier to use the cold smoke setup. Just smoked my first cheese yesterday so the waiting begins.  ::)
HawkeyeSmokes

KevinG

Believe it or not, I got the inside temp down to 54 degrees right now. I went ahead and slid the cheese in. I've got my fingers crossed it will hold out for an hour. I've got some spare ice waiting just in case.

Kevin

Hopefull Romantic

Kevin, I would wait a bit longer through the night to start smoking my cheese. Even with the cold smoke set up and the actual wood burning further away, from my experience it could raise the smoker's temp by 6 - 10 degrees.

One or two hours before you start smoking open the tower door and vent fully open and keep there for the time.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: KevinG on October 17, 2009, 11:42:18 AM
Believe it or not, I got the inside temp down to 54 degrees right now. I went ahead and slid the cheese in. I've got my fingers crossed it will hold out for an hour. I've got some spare ice waiting just in case.

Kevin

Keep it in the shade!
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

I got my fingers and eyes crossed for you.

KevinG

I did place a towel under the top tray of ice to keep the condensation off the food. I only hope that the birds will stay off my homemade awning. I suspect it will keep my Bradley in the shade until about 2:00 p.m.

Kevin

HawkeyeSmokes

Sounds like enough time to finish smoking while shaded. Is your temperature staying down?
HawkeyeSmokes

pensrock

Kevin, keep an eye on the temp inside the tower, if it starts to climb to 90 F crack the door open about 1/2". Yes a lot of smoke will come out but don't worry, there is still plenty of smoke left. Hopefully that may help some. But as others stated, I do not do cheese unless the temp is 60 or lower. Good luck.

KevinG

Wouldn't you know it, power failure - %$@#! Fortunately it was a short one. It was pretty funny, I went out to check the smoker and couldn't figure why it turned off. I turned it back on, and of course I wasted a puck, dumping it in the water when I turned back on. The temp is still holding out at 52, I think as long as there are no more power outages, I might be able to save the cheese. Otherwise I'll yank it out and finish tonight like HR says.

Kevin