Spatchcocked Turkey breast

Started by pensrock, October 17, 2009, 12:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

Picked up a whole turkey breast. No wings, legs or thighs.
Spatchcocked it, not too hard at all. I thought cutting the backbone would be hard but it cut right off using a good shark chefs knife.
Then a couple good pushes and the breast bone popped pretty easy. I did have to use the knife a little around the breastbone, but it really went easy.
I did not brine this bird.
Seasoned with Pensey's 'Northwoods Fire' seasoning, pepper, poultry seasoning and garlic salt.

Went into a preheated smoker at 260F. I wanted 300 but it would not go above 265.

classicrockgriller

that is kewl Pens. That will really get some smoke in there now.

pensrock

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 17, 2009, 12:52:07 PM
that is kewl Pens. That will really get some smoke in there now.

Thats what I was hoping for, I am actually only smoking it for 1hr 40 minutes then after 3 hrs total moving it to a 375 oven in the house. I want the skin to crisp up. If I feel I want more smoke then next time I can smoke longer.

KyNola

Pens,
That looks great.  I can almost taste that bird.

KyNola

Hopefull Romantic

Hey Pens a strange turkey aroma just whiffed by my nose. I must be living down wind from you.

The breast looks great.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

pensrock

Well its done and came out GREAT! I will definitely be doing this again. Still very moist even without brining and 1 hr 40 minutes of smoke was really good.

Coming out of the smoker. 1-40 of smoke, 3 hr total at 260 F. IT = 130.
(NOTE: the temp was set to 260, I'm not sure how long it actually took to get back there after loading and taking pics.)

Going into a preheated oven set to 365 F.

Out of the oven, IT = 170 Tented with foil till the football game was over.  :)

1/2 sliced and dinner is served.

Quarlow

Oh yeah baby that's some fine looking food dude. MMMMMMMmmmm
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

HawkeyeSmokes

Looks awesome there Pens. Now I know I have to try it!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

pens, winner winner turkey dinner. did you injected that or is that color on the turkey from the rub.

awesome looking

Quarlow

AARRgh How am I going to wait till my ribs are done if you guys keep torturing me like that.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pensrock

Thanks everyone, it came out really great.

CRG, No brine or injection. That was just from the spices used on the top and underside before smoking.

classicrockgriller

Thanks, awesome looking Turkey. Good Eats !

Tenpoint5

Well Done Pens. The spatch process is pretty easy with a good set of shears, or a sharp knife.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

West Coast Kansan

Pens, looks perfect.  Glad I have already eatten too much...would make me hungry. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

pensrock

10.5, I did not even try shears, the heavy knife worked very well. About the only trouble was I had to trim a little around the breast bone cause the meat wanted to stay stuck to it.

Thanks WCK, I really like turkey and do not make it enough. But since this worked out so well and was really easy to do, I'll be making more in the future.