Burnt Plastic Smell!!!!! - Need Your Thoughts Please

Started by weekendsmoker, January 16, 2010, 10:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

What was the position of the vent ?

A couple of times I have had "puck stack" where the pucks build a tower that continues  to smolder instead of get put out in the water bowl. So if the water bowl went dry and the pucks continued to smolder and / or ignite from dripping fat, in theory you could have had a small fire in there that burnt itself out before you detected it, but was enough heat that close to the gasket to cause your symptom.

I'm just sort of thinking out loud, I'm not trying to be accusatory or anything.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

weekendsmoker

Tenpoint5

Quote from: weekendsmoker on January 17, 2010, 07:56:07 PM
Just currious but what is black rain?
Black rain is when your vent is closed too far and moisture builds up in the chimney area of your smoker. As the moisture builds it collects the black creosote smoke residue that accumulates up there. When the moisture droplets get big enough they rain down onto the product that your cooking. Leaving black specks, dots, or runs on the meat. The black spots taste really really nasty. Keep your vent at least 1/4 open and fully open with poultry and you should never see or have to deal with Black Rain.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

weekendsmoker

FLBentRider, you actually may be right, the bowl was moist with some liquid fat but, there was an incredible amount of REALLY crusty ash on the underside of the tray that I had never seen before as I scrub it down every time.  Maybe there was a considerable amount of heat that changed the compounds of the rubber.  Well I'm dead in the water for now as the thing smells like burnt wire. 

Thanks for all the input folks, I really appreciate it and hope to be smokin' again real soon.

Jason.

Quarlow

Try using a tin foil pan next time that is bigger than the bowl. then when the burnt pucks drop they float around instead of stacking up and continue burning.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Slamdunk

"never a problem and this was my 78th smoke without incident."

I'm thinking that after 78 smokes, maybe the seal has disintegrated somewhat?

Also, don't know where you are located, but if you are lucky enough to be in a hot weather climate, perhaps sun light has caused some disintegration?

Did you phone/email Bradley??

Gamefish

Quote from: weekendsmoker on January 17, 2010, 08:41:06 PM
FLBentRider, you actually may be right, the bowl was moist with some liquid fat but, there was an incredible amount of REALLY crusty ash on the underside of the tray that I had never seen before as I scrub it down every time.  Maybe there was a considerable amount of heat that changed the compounds of the rubber.  Well I'm dead in the water for now as the thing smells like burnt wire. 

Thanks for all the input folks, I really appreciate it and hope to be smokin' again real soon.

Jason.
Jason, liquid fat that must mean you have not had water in the bowl to put out the pucks so in turn you have ended up with a fire in your bradley especially if you have had crusty ash, (crusty ask and fat liquid) hense you have created a lot of heat and burnt the bottom of the door seal hense why you meat is tainted, suggestion is next time you use plenty of water to put out the wood pucks so it doesn't happen again but a new door seal is in order ::) as slamdunk has posted ring Bradley they will support you and next thing you know problem is solved ;)