Too cold for smoking??

Started by oarfish, October 17, 2009, 09:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oarfish

I am smoking cheese with the newly arrived Bradley remote smoke box.
The temp is only 50 degrees in the smoker itself .
I looked at the cheese after 4 hrs of smoking at it looked kinda pale.
I was wondering if I need to up the temp. to the 70 degree range to get better result?

classicrockgriller

Oarfish welcome to the forum. 50 degrees is perfect, but most of what i have read is 2 hrs max smoke

Habanero Smoker

You usually won't get that deep brown color you see in commercial smoked cheese. Mine comes out slightly tinted, but it does have a good smoke flavor. If you can keep your cabinet at 70°F, you may want to try your next batch in that range. I have come across information that the cooler it is, less smoke will penetrate and/or adhere to the surface.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

I have also heard that the cooler the ambient the less smoke would penetrates. But Since Habs mentioned the commercially smoked cheeses, on most of the smoked cheese labels I USED to buy (not anymore) it says; SMOKED Flavour and that it wide open for interpretation (like liquid smoke in the preparation process) and I have also read some where that most of the "smoked" color on the cheeses in artificially infused.

I also go for 2 hours of smoke.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

oarfish

Ooops, the cheese got smoked for about 7 Hrs. I left it out overnight until all the bisquits were used up.
Well I am going to vacuum pack it try in a few weeks. Thank you for the good advice.
(was going to post pic. but the only button I saw "insert image" did not work)

Hopefull Romantic

oarfish

Thanks for the upload info.
Here are the pictures of the smoker setup and the 7 hr. cheeses: mozzarella, Swiss and mostly cheddar.
Now, have to go and catch some trout to fill the smoker ;)

Tenpoint5

Oarfish just remember to vac seal or saran wrap the cheese and stick it in the fridge for 10 days to let the smoke mellow out and soak in the cheese. Unless you like licking ashtrays.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

oarfish

Done it with vacuum packaging this morning. Thanks for the advice, will wait before opening the first package. Will report on the "7 hr. flavor".... if it is any good,
the wife planning to put some of it in this year's Christmas baskets.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: oarfish on October 18, 2009, 02:38:19 PM
Done it with vacuum packaging this morning. Thanks for the advice, will wait before opening the first package. Will report on the "7 hr. flavor".... if it is any good,
With 7 hours of smoke on it it might take that long to mellow out
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: oarfish on October 18, 2009, 02:38:19 PM
.... if it is any good,

Oarfish, I would not do that if I were you. If the cheese turns out good as I am sure it will, the recipients of those baskets would be DEMANDING more later and you share would get smaller and smaller.I AM SPEAKING OUT OF EXPERIENCE  :D :D :D

HR

Habanero Smoker

That's a lot of good looking cheese. There are some members that use 5 or more hours of smoke with good results.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I've used four hours of apple smoke with great results.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hopefull Romantic

but I will play it safe and put small chunks into the gift baskets  ??? that way we don't set too high expectations  for future Holidays.
[/quote]

Good idea oarfish, just pack it in Walmart bags or some thing similar. ;D

HR