Too cold for smoking??

Started by oarfish, October 17, 2009, 09:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oarfish

I opened a package last week (after sitting for 3 weeks vacuum packed in fridge)and it does not taste smoky enough. I will have to try warmer smoking next time probably 75-80 degrees.

Quarlow

Hey Oarfish. I did a batch with Apple smoke, 3hrs at 70f-75f and it was not smoky enough for me. Well actually the cheddar was slightly smokey but the swiss and mozzerella was hardly smokey at all. I will do it next time for about 5 hrs and a temp of upper 70's to low 80's. And maybe some stronger flavour wood.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

oarfish

I opened another package today (about 2 months have passed since the smoking of this batch) it was the cheddar cheese this time. It did not taste smoky enough still.
I guess warmer temp is better, and the 50 degree was too cold for the 7 hrs. smoking.
Next time I am going to try to smoke cheese for a few days with about 5Hrs. of smoke each day and just sitting /curing/ drying in between in the Ohio winter.

kevinconner75

I have tried smoking, and got not much satisfactory result. the color is not exactly pale, but not brown also. I have tried with temperature variations with closely similar results.
Hi, this is Kasper, and I have Been working in the credit card processing job for about 12 years.