Authentic Texas Barbecued Brisket

Started by Pachanga, October 18, 2009, 09:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachanga

Saner,

I have been using a deflector since I first got my Bradley with no problems or incident.  I am on the original heating element.  However, I would say this practice is probably frowned upon by Bradley.  Do so at your own risk.  If you look at the photo, the foil is loose and allows the heat to rise through all of the vents including the back vents but the heat then moves forward and emerges from the front lip of the foil in the center of the Bradley so the element should not be affected much if any.

Another solution would be to foil the back center of a basket on the first level to force the heat to the edges and middle. Check your chamber temperatures and see if you have the same experiences as I have.  Reviewing your photos on the Six Rack Digital Page, things look like they cooked nicely.  You have a newer 6 rack model and maybe it is different in the defector or other area.

Moving a chamber probe around is an interesting exercise and will help you get familiar with your Bradley.  My Bradley definitely has hot and hotter areas just like every grill I have owned and even my Bosch double oven (which was supposed to be perfect).

This low tech solution works for me.  There are some very intelligent people on this board who I respect tremendously. They may chime in with other solutions or ideas or point you to previous threads.  I am amazed at some of the gadgets that have been posted on this board. I feel fairly sane after seeing some of the projects.

See you around the pit.  Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

JGW

Pachanga,

I hope you took my comment as a disagreement on preparation.  No offense meant. 

If you like it, good deal.  Hell, if you served me some...I'd probably never know, and if I hinted a taste mustard I would have assumed you used some dry mustard in the rub.

I haven't tried mustard on brisket as a slather, as (in my opinion) it isn't necessary.  I grew up in Tx (Hill country....S.A., Austin, Gruene) and have never known anyone that uses mustard.   

Like anything, there's no ONE way to do anything - all comes down to preference. 

Smoke on, brother.   :)

Pachanga

QuoteQuote
Posted by: westexasmoker
Insert Quote
No mustard on brisket!!...Pork yes, beef no, but to each their own....and I rarely do pork!   Grin
Posted by: JGW
Insert Quote
I'd have to go with WTS on this one.   Grin   Course, other than his use of Mesquite and my use of Oak....I don't think we differ much when it comes Brisket.

QuoteWTS and JGW

Thank you for your opinion on the mustard.  Even though I disagree, I respect your thoughts as well as your use of the Bradley and I appreciate your posts.  I wonder if you have ever tried mustard as a slather on brisket.  What were your objections?

I am a mustard on ham fan as a condiment but I do not use mustard as a condiment on brisket.  However, as a slather, the mustard loses its flavor in the smoking process and turns to a nice bark.  There is no residual taste that we would recognize as mustard flavor.

I recently posted a thread on mustard slather (http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12112.0 )  relating the science behind mustard's properties and their reaction with brisket.  In it I wrote, "Mustard is made of mustard flour, vinegar and other ingredients.  Science tells us that the enzymes in the mustard flour breaks down collagen that acts as connective tissue in meats.  Vinegar is an acid.  When exposed to acid collagen is softened to gelatin.  The collagen fibers exhibit swelling and retain more water. This opens the meat up to accept the flavors of the rub.  Therefore, mustard slather reacts with meat using two distinct properties; enzymes and acids.  The slather also aids in moisture retention and flavor absorption.  This produces a flavorful, moist and tender meat.  At the same time, it produces a nice crust or bark on the meat.  This stuff sounds like a miracle drug for a Q'er."

Despite your disparaging opinion, science and taste of the final product convince me that this is a very good addition to brisket as well as other meats. Thousands of other smokers, much more accomplished than me, consider this a staple in their arsenal for smoking brisket.  For those who have not used a mustard slather and are confused or nervous about trying it, take a lesson from some Legends of Barbeque.

Fort Worth, Texas pit boss legend Walter Jetton put on a little barbeque for 250 at the LBJ (President Johnson)  Pedernales Ranch, Texas in 1964.  Besides calling for a pit 3 foot deep, 4 feet wide and 40 feet long, his beef stock mop contained ¾ cup dry mustard and 2 quarts vinegar (sounds like mustard to me).  The meat was brisket.  Jim Goode, another Texas legend, calls for mustard in his rub and mop for brisket.  Paul Kirk, one of the most awarded Q'ers ever, devotes an entire chapter in one of his books to Mustard slathers which are used on his competition brisket, ribs and chicken.

WTS and JGW, as you say, to each his own.  I'll have to go with the Legends of Barbeque on this one.

See you around the pit.  Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

QuotePosted by: JGW
Insert Quote
Pachanga,

I hope you took my comment as a disagreement on preparation.  No offense meant.

If you like it, good deal.  Hell, if you served me some...I'd probably never know, and if I hinted a taste mustard I would have assumed you used some dry mustard in the rub.

I haven't tried mustard on brisket as a slather, as (in my opinion) it isn't necessary.  I grew up in Tx (Hill country....S.A., Austin, Gruene) and have never known anyone that uses mustard.  

Like anything, there's no ONE way to do anything - all comes down to preference.

Smoke on, brother.   Smiley

JGW,

I appreciate your reply.

You just named some of my favorite Texas haunts besides Corpus Christi on the coast.  A mix of Mexican, German, LBJ political and Hippie barbeque.   My sister lives in San Antonio by way of Corpus, my son received his graduate and masters from The University of Texas (he worked for a Senator friend of mine at the Capitol while in School) and we have canoed the Guadalupe River many, many times.  Gruene is one neat town (motto - gently resisting change since 1872), not to mention  the old dance hall (can you say Wille Nelson?) and its other German influences.  Of course, the Germans and the Mexicans had tremendous influence on Texas Cowboy Barbeque.

I have read some of your posts and I knew you had received a Master's degree in Texas Barbeque from somewhere.  It turns out you were influenced in the great melting pot of Barbeque.

I take no offense from your comments.  I mean no offense by mine, just a discussion between two cowboys.

I have stated before that I received my Bradley as a gift, and was embarrassed to use it.  Then I discovered that it was a real honest to goodness pit that could produce all manner of good eats and would certainly produce fine to superior Authentic Barbeque.  I wanted to thank this board and its many experts in countless areas of smokology who kindly and without reservation share their recipes, techniques and secrets.  I decided to give back by promoting Authentic Barbeque in the Bradley to anyone who would listen.  I will continue to do so.

When two people known as brisket aficionados compose a post stating mustard has no place near a brisket ("No mustard on brisket!!") without elaboration and I have recently posted lengthy threads extolling mustards virtues on brisket (http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12112.0) and included it in an Authentic Texas Barbequed Brisket techniques recipe (http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=532), one has two choices.  

1.   Stay silent and concede, which in effect validates the no mustard opinion (without support or elaboration) and discount everything I have posted.  My efforts to promote authentic barbeque in the Bradley would be diminished and I might as well fold my tent, pack up my smoker and go home.

2.   Defend my position with facts, science, experience and expert testimony.  (http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12061.30)  While asking the other parties to expound on their position further than just, "No mustard on brisket!! "  Readers of the posts can then intelligently decide on a method with more complete information from both parties.

I will always choose the later.  I am certainly not offended and enjoy a good debate.  I only post sporadically because when I do, I spend an inordinate amount of time compiling accurate facts, choosing my words carefully and try to post a clear, concise, explanation which adds to the conversation.  If someone wants to debate, bring both barrels and a sack lunch. One liners will not cut the mustard (pun intended).

You state that "I haven't tried mustard on brisket as a slather, as (in my opinion) it isn't necessary" and "have never known anyone that uses mustard".  

I had never known anyone to use a mustard slather until a few years ago.  I thought "what a waste of meat" until I tasted it and discovered no hint of mustard, only a beautiful bark, the hallmark of barbeque, and tender moist meat.  As others have said (Carneyscud, FLBentRider come to mind) and I paraphrase , salt and pepper, meat and smoke, that's all that is needed for Authentic Barbeque.   I agree whole heartedly and have Qed many a brisket that way and will do so again in that simple (yet very complicated) manner.  The mustard slather is actually a minor part of my brisket smoke and it can stay or go. I do believe it is a particularly useful technique in the Bradley because it acts as a long term baste beside the many other attributes described in earlier posts.  It is wise to keep the Bradley door closed due to slow heat recovery.  

There are always variations adding subtle nuances to the process and interesting things to try while remaining on the Authentic Barbeque reservation.  I personally would not post an agreement with a statement like "No mustard on brisket!!" if I had never tried or experienced it.  As I noted in my response, three legends of barbeque (to name just a few) did try mustard on their brisket and they stuck with it. There is also good science behind its use.  As you rightly state "there's no ONE way to do anything - all comes down to preference", hence I thought the "No mustard on brisket!!" comment was obtuse and not instructive.  I don't mind disagreement (I am always interested in furthering my education) but I learn nothing when no argumentative reasoning is present to ponder.

I would be proud to sit down next to a cooler full of Shiner Bock, Lone Star, Negra Modelo, Dos Equis, and Miller High Life and watch you barbeque.  I am sure I would pick up some good tips, eat some great barbeque (probably some Mexican food) and enjoy a heck of a conversation.

See you around the pit.  Good luck and slow smoking.

Pachanga

HawkeyeSmokes

Pachanga, I would like to thank you for your very informative posts. Every time I read one it makes me stop and think for a bit. And I learn from every one of them. The first time I smoked a whole brisket I used your technique from the recipe site to make it fit on a Bradley rack and it worked great. Now, I have to decide, will the next one have a light mustard slather? I think it might because that is the only way for me to know how I like it. Once again, thank you for the great info.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

I think you miss-quoted me out of context. I Never said that. I'm here to learn and make good q. I have slathered rubbed slated and peppered pinched and slapped a variety of meats I have cooked. But I couldn't or wouldn't cook 150 briskets the same way. I like to get something to where I like it and then move on to try it a different way. I have enjoyed reading your post and your explanations on how you do things.

Pachanga

CRG,

I apologize for the misquote.  I was quoting from memory and once again my weak mind fails me.  I am modifying the post accordingly.

Thanks again.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

FLBentRider

No harm no foul Pachanga.

I never used the word "authentic", but the spirit of the comment was there.

I have gleaned much from your posts as well, and appreciate the time and effort you put into them.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Pachanga

FLBentrider,

Thanks for giving me some latitude and I appreciate your comment.  Now that I think about it, Carneyscud left out the salt and pepper.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Ka Honu

Announcing my next smoke - the one and only "authentic, lots-of-other-peoples'-secret-receipts-mixed-together, rubbed-with-or-without-CYM-slather (depending on the phase of the moon at the time), smoked (and maybe boated, depending on the severity of sunspots in the area) by an amphibious reptilian outside one of those cheap townhouses across the street from Kaneohe Yacht Club, Texas-inspired brisket."  I'd sell it commercially but the label printing costs would be prohibitive.

Pachanga

GRG,

QuoteI have slathered rubbed slated and peppered pinched and slapped a variety of meats I have cooked. But I couldn't or wouldn't cook 150 briskets the same way. I like to get something to where I like it and then move on to try it a different way.

I reread your post and I think you are giving us a little too much information regarding your personal life with meats. 

For the record, I did smoke the 150 plus briskets in a variety of ways (ok, I slapped and pinched a few).  Like you, I am curious and continue to experiment but the mustard slather I posted is a safe bet that has never failed me.  I have prepared it with many different additional ingredients. 

I have a radically different idea for my next smoke. I will post it if it works out.

Thank you for your comments and posts. 

See you around the pit,

Pachanga

Pachanga

Ka Honu,

I'm guessing pineapple with some sort of poi fish sauce slather, burying it in the ground wrapped in a pig surrounded by hot rocks.  That would be the proper base mixture under a quarter moon or at least that's what I read somewhere--------maybe.

Wish I was there and you were here.

See you around the pig pit,

Pachanga

Scotty-G

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 29, 2009, 07:44:49 PM
"authentic, lots-of-other-peoples'-secret-receipts-mixed-together, rubbed-with-or-without-CYM-slather (depending on the phase of the moon at the time), smoked (and maybe boated, depending on the severity of sunspots in the area) by an amphibious reptilian outside one of those cheap townhouses across the street from Kaneohe Yacht Club, Texas-inspired brisket."

Ka Honu - that would be a long label.  Could make it one line and possibly wrap it around the brisket a few times.   ;D

Recently got to try a "Authentic Texas Brisket" here in the silicon valley.  The only texas about the Brisket was in the platter name.  Though about replacing my shoe bottoms with the leather they were serving.

Keep on Smokin'

Scotty-G

Ka Honu

Quote from: Pachanga on October 29, 2009, 07:55:43 PMI'm guessing pineapple with some sort of poi fish sauce slather, burying it in the ground wrapped in a pig surrounded by hot rocks.  That would be the proper base mixture under a quarter moon ...

That's one of the "secret receipts" but it only seems to work under a full moon (must be something to do with the latitude).

Quote from: Pachanga on October 29, 2009, 07:55:43 PMWish I was there and you were here.

No comment required.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 29, 2009, 07:44:49 PM
Announcing my next smoke - the one and only "authentic, lots-of-other-peoples'-secret-receipts-mixed-together, rubbed-with-or-without-CYM-slather (depending on the phase of the moon at the time), smoked (and maybe boated, depending on the severity of sunspots in the area) by an amphibious reptilian outside one of those cheap townhouses across the street from Kaneohe Yacht Club, Texas-inspired brisket."  I'd sell it commercially but the label printing costs would be prohibitive.

Kalua Brisket.   I'd order one!

Brad Stab

Pachanga,

It's funny. I joined this site today because I received a Bradley smoker as a gift. I'm a classically trained chef with 30 years experience. Primarily in French cuisine. Although  I pride myself as being very competent on the grill "both gas and coal" I do not have a lot of experience smoking. I must tell you that your posts and recipes are great, and highly informative.Today I smoked a turkey and ribs (came out really well) but as I read through this very resourceful site I realize a whole other world of technique in cooking is out their. Brisket will be next weeks project. Thank you for sharing with us, and thanks to the members who have been very welcoming and informative.
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.