Started by LindaCC, October 19, 2009, 11:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LindaCC

Here's the game plan after searching the forum:
8.5 Turkey
Brine 4-6 hrs
Pat dry-frig overnight
tomorrow prepare:
Beer Can w/seasonings (bay leaves/thyme)
Season Bird
Smoke @250-2.5 hrs (it's pretty small)
Finish in oven to crisp the skin.

Pulled information from here that many of you contributed to: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11784.0

Brinning now.

Should I use this
Or this

FLBentRider

I just put mine on the rack.

I brine overnight, but 4-6 should be good.

FWIW, I pull back the skin and put the spices underneath and put the skin back over it.

We don't eat the skin much, so I do the whole cook in the Bradley.

Good Luck.

What kind of wood will you use ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hopefull Romantic

Hi Linda and wow. Love your enthusiasim.

I would use the first with the base as opposed to the beer can. I think the base would stabelize the turkey more. I would also use a combo hickory / apple for the smoke.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Tenpoint5

Myself I would do as FLB said and putthe spices under the skin after Spatchcocking the bird. then spritz or rub melted butter on the bird about half way through the smoke to get that dark red smoked look to the bird.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

LindaCC

I thinks Apple is the only puck flavor I do not have yet. Not sure how I missed that. Must order asap. That sounds like it would have been a great combination (Hickory and Apple).
We do love the skin. Sounds great to put spices underneath the skin.
10.5-what is Spatchcocking the bird mean???

LindaCC

BTW...last of the Cordon Bleu

Ummmmm!!!!

KyNola

I agree with FLBR about brining overnight and then just placing directly on the rack.  However I agree with you about finishing in the oven after the smoke period.  Use whatever wood you prefer.  I like hickory/and or apple.  I have used maple as well.

The one big piece of advice, vent 100% open the entire time as poultry has a lot of excess moisture in it that you need to have escape from your smoking tower.  Otherwise it can condensate inside the tower, holding your temp down and possibly cause the smoke to back up into your smoke generator and eventually destroy it.

Let us know how it goes.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Linda here is a link to a chicken that I spatched you can do the same thing to a turkey. I would leave the breast halves connected when smoking so when you lay it on the bed of lettuce for plating you see the whole bird.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11817.0

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

LindaCC

Ok...Sounds good. I think I got it.
Brine all night..... Place straight on rack w/out beer can..... Leave vents wide open....finish off in Oven for great skin.

LindaCC

Finally have an opportunity to post my fabulous Smoked Turkey dinner. It couldn't have been better.

After Smoker before browning in Oven
After browning

Found my Apple puks so I smoked with pecan/apple. Perfect!!! Smoked up Corn on the Cob pieces, Potatoes, Onions, Red Peppers, Zucchini, and Yellow Squash.
Thanks for all your help guys
Now I have 2 Chickens in Smoking.

pensrock

Linda, that looks fantastic. Great job. BTW.... what time did you say dinner was?  ;) :)

classicrockgriller

Looks very nice LCC.

You are going to have to load that 6rk down and get it black on the inside.

Isn't this fun?

Hopefull Romantic

Great Job Linda. Keep up the good work.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

deb415611

Tenpoint5