cant get temp up.

Started by bflosmoke, October 22, 2009, 09:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bflosmoke

It seems that my temperature wont get above 180 degrees. The heating element still gets cherry red though. Could it have gotten schmegmad up from water splashing or drippings ? Is there anyway to clean it. Any ideas?
BFLO

canadiansmoker

Is the smoker full of food or empty? Any wind at all or was it extremely cold outside?

classicrockgriller

the recipe section has some problem solving in the FAQ section.

classicrockgriller

classicrockgriller

pensrock

If the heating element is glowing red, then it must be heating. Is there a very large load in the smoker? How are to checking the temperature? Did you preheat the unit? Is the top vent open?

bflosmoke

I thought I replied once but I dont see it so here it goes again.
The last two smokes were to brisket pts for pulled beef and then 2 flats for pastrami. For both smokes the box temp wouldnt go over 160 or so even after 8 hours. I was just using the door thermometer but the meat temp didnt raise beyond 120.
The meat was allowed to reach room temp, the vent was wide open, and the weather was in the high 50s low 60s with slight wind.
I guess my next try should  include a different thermometer in the smoke box and maybe invest in a auber pid?
Thanks
Tom

Habanero Smoker

What thermometer are you using. If it is a probe thermometer where are you locating the probe. I place mine under the bottom rack. If you place it above the meat or in between racks you will get a lower reading.

With the load you mentioned, approximately how many pounds and how long did it take to finish.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bflosmoke

Habs the whole briskets weighed about 12# each. So maybe the flats were 5 to 6 lbs and points 6 or 7 ?
I have only used the door thermometer for box temp. I use the digital for the meat in the thickest part on the highest rack in use.
Should I get another thermometer for the box and try it ? Will a meat probe type work ok just hanging in the smoke box?
Thanks for the help
Tom

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: bflosmoke on October 23, 2009, 07:09:33 AM
Should I get another thermometer for the box and try it ? Will a meat probe type work OK just hanging in the smoke box?
Thanks for the help
Tom

Tom, many of the people here have the Maverick ET - 73 dual probe digital wireless thermometer which would measure both the meat IT and the smoker's. If you were to buy a new one I would recommend that you buy that one. As for the thermometer that you have right now, I don't see any reason why you cant use it for the smoker's temp. I have the Oregon technologies single probe and as soon as I ply the probe in I get the ambient temp.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Caneyscud

Tom,

Eight hours and the CT not going above 180 not too unusual with a big load.  A brisket is a lot of meat for a 500w element to heat up.  Was that parts of 2 briskets at one time or was it one?  What was it at 12 hours or later?  Did it not get over that.  12 lbs of brisket is not unusual to be 18 hours of cooking.

If you never got above 160 or 180.  Assuming the element is working ok, I wonder two things. One is if the thermometers are working ok,  But you having 2 thermometers and they seem to be indicating corroborating probably not cause.  Two things to look for - Any large amount of smoke coming out the door indicating a bad seal and the other is are you on a long extension cord?   

I also have a Maverick, but I seldom use it on a brisket.  I'm not concerned with an exact temperature - as long as I'm in the neighborhood, I know it is going to take a while.  When the brisket nears when I think it will be done, I start checking with an instant read thermometer when I mop the bad boy. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

The door thermometer is not in the most ideal location location for an accurate cabinet temperature; especially with a full load. Using a Maverick ET-73 as HR pointed out will give you a better cabinet reading of the heat the bottom rack is being exposed to. You probably would get a reading around 200°F - 210°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bflosmoke

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I will pick up a maverick soon.
Tom

bflosmoke

I just wanted to send a quick update.
I purchased the maverick as was suggested and as it turns out the door thermometer was way off, it read 180 degrees but the actual temp was 128. 48 degrees is a pretty big differencr.
Thank you all for the help.
Tom