Mustard Slather on Brisket and Other Meats

Started by Pachanga, October 23, 2009, 08:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachanga

Nateben

I guess the question might be better stated, "what have I not used in a mustard slather".  Squirrel tails, rabbit's feet and frog's tongues come to mind as not being proper ingredients.  I once eyed a newt as an addition but he got away.  If it is in my refrigerator, spice or liquor cabinet, it is a potential ingredient.  I'll fess up to adding anchovies (which is a very unique and underused background ingredient that is appropriate in many dishes. Just don't tell your guests.  Don't doubt me, check the ingredients in some of your favorite sauces).

Many times I just use mustard.  My most used ingredient with the mustard is dark beer, especially on ribs.  As Dr Evil states in this thread
Quoteits sure adds to the flavor of ribs and makes them so much better.

I have used dark beer, soy sauce, butter,Tabasco, rum, whiskey, lemon juice, Worcestershire, beef stock, mayonnaise, orange juice, wine, vinegar, and pickle juice to name a few.  This does not include any of the rub ingredients which may vary according to the meat.  I don't really have a recipe when adding these ingredients.  I look for a still thick consistency in the final slather.  I do not want it too thin when using the Bradley.  One of the reasons I am using the slather is as a protective coating during the first few hours of the smoke when I don't want to open the door. This conserves heat.  I think of this as a mop reduction.  I use a little thicker slather than when I am on a different smoker where I tend to reapply or mop at an earlier stage.

Just plain mustard or a mixture of mustard and Dijon mustard works pretty well.   Start with that and then on another smoke, thin it with some dark beer or reduced dark beer.  Continue to jack it up with other ingredients a little at a time.  

Plain mustard will not add a different taste.  It will just create a better bark and magnify the natural flavors.  The other ingredients will change the flavor profile somewhat but not drastically in most cases.

Here is some reading which may be helpful and get you started on your own slather recipe.  It is a chapter in one of Paul Kirk's books.  He attributes mustard slather with a lot of his success. He is one of the top competition Q'ers of all time and has won the big ones more than once.  Some of these slathers are a little thin for my Bradley methods and may need to be adjusted.

http://books.google.com/books?id=hQkdKVJUw6kC&pg=PA88&lpg=PA88&dq=Paul+kirk+mustard+slather+recipe&source=bl&ots=ndJYBSoOX1&sig=A5gI5lmLxinq5CQ_O9_ZQ7vAcSU&hl=en&ei=HFOjS96uMabKM-e0iIcJ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBMQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

nateben

Great -- thanks so much. Sounds like I should start basic and experiment with adding other flavors next time.

Do you put your rub on ribs the night before and then add the slather just before smoking?

Pachanga

Natben,

There are varying opinions on this subject.  I do not think there is any one right answer.  This is up to a person's personal preferences, experiences and smoking background.

I put everything on and let it marinate as the meat comes up to a higher ambient temperature.  I personally want the interior meat to taste like beef or pork.  The crust and bark are more of a condiment like ketchup to fries.  Ribs are a thin meat and the long cooking time is going to allow more than enough flavor to sink in for my taste.

That said, I am not sure how much osmosis takes place between a cold piece of meat and exterior applications.  There is a lot more activity and transfer taking place per hour during the hot cooking process than in the refrigerator.   Not to say that I never overnight marinate but even on thicker pieces like brisket or pork, the long smoking time is more than enough marination for me.  Others like the overnight rub.

If you have ever sliced into a brisket smoked in a stick burner and looked at a smoke ring, you have witnessed how far as least some chemicals and reactions can seep into the meat.  My experience is that a deep smoke ring can be accomplished without overnight marinating.

I will use injections, brines or plugs if I want interior meat flavor additions.

As I stated, there are differing opinions on this subject as there are on the use of mustard slathers.  While I am not shy in representing my point of view, it is good to read these varying ideas on this board.  Try it both ways and see which one you prefer.   I think it is wise to take advice but you will learn from each smoking method and experience and thus develop your own unique technique.

Pachanga

OU812

Tenpoint5

A Simple translation of our friend Pachanga's post.
  Everyone does it different take a little from each and create something you can call "Your Own Style" it will always sound better and taste better saying "I made this" and "I combined some ideas from other folks and I created this" than, "I did Pachanga's brisket!" or "I did Tenpoint5's ribs" Do it your way and make it your own. The rest of us are just here to help.

Sound like a good translation Pachanga?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 19, 2010, 08:36:21 AM
  Everyone does it different take a little from each and create something you can call "Your Own Style" it will always sound better and taste better saying "I made this" and "I combined some ideas from other folks and I created this" than, "I did Pachanga's brisket!" or "I did Tenpoint5's ribs" Do it your way and make it your own. The rest of us are just here to help.

AMEN Tenpoint5! Testify!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Pachanga

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 19, 2010, 08:36:21 AM

Spot On, Senor.  Muy Bueno.

Pachanga

Tommy3Putts

I love to do prime ribs.  I never used a mustard slather much until I got to this forum.  Ribs, butts and brisket all turned our great!  I have a basic simple rub for prime rib that I found several years ago that always turned out great.  I cannot wait to try that rub with a mustard slather on my next prime rib, which will be my first one in the Bradley.  Should be great!

Pachanga

Tommy3puts,

I have never slathered a Prime Rib due to low IT temperature most finish with along with the shortened cooking time compared to briskets and pig.   Depending on the final chamber temperature, it may not set the way it does on other meats.  Of course it works well for me on pork and beef ribs which also have a shorter cooking time but a much higher IT.

I will be interested in your research and outcome as well as any others who have done so.

Thanks for the idea.

Pachanga

Tommy3Putts

Hmmm

Have to ponder that Pachanga.  I always get a nice bark in the oven.  I just put my rub one (fresh garlic, rosemary, thyme and fresh cracked peper, and a little olive oil)  I throw it in a 300-325 degree oven and do it at that temp the whole way.  I used to do the 500 degree brown thing but found I really didn't need it.

But i suppose your right.  Given the lower temps and the fact you wouldn't be in the bradley that long, maybe the slather would not work well.  What I may do is do two roasts, one with and one without and see how it works out.  Wonder if anyone out there has used a mustard slather on a PR.

Thanks for the reply!

JF7FSU

Great write up Pachanga.  I do believe I am going to mix some bourbon in my next slather.
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

TMB

I tried a mustard slather on some 1 in thick pork chops I smoke and man it was great!   Thanks for a great post Pachanga

I can't wait to try my brisket this weekend!
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

OldHickory

Thanks again for another fine post and education.  I have read your previous posts with much intrest and especially on mustard slather.  I tried it on a butt, then loin ribs, then on brisket.  They all turned out great, and I now use it on those items all the time.  You have proved that a good teacher can teach an old dog new tricks. 
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

kaskiles

Hmm, so the whole secret to the mustard slather is thickened vinegar...

I love this site!
OBS, Et-73, bubba pucks, frogmats; Merritt Island, FL