1st,2nd & 3rd Smoke were all Excellent!!!

Started by johnintx1, March 03, 2005, 02:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />  Now I'm going to look for the recipe for the smoked onions.  I got a feeling a nice batch of homemade baked beans with smoked onions and roasted garlic are in my near future.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">EXCELLENT IDEA!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The beans turned out good[:p] as well as the ribs and the ever popular top rack of bacon.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

Jeff,

You might of changed my mine on a couple things.  I have always wanted to put a good sized pan of cheap Pork ad Beans on the third rack below my briskets or butts then just chop some of the meat up and put it in them ans see what happens.  But if I smoke some onions and garlic does that give good smoke flavor to a pot O' BBQ beans?  Catch my drift here.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Jeff,

You might of changed my mine on a couple things.  I have always wanted to put a good sized pan of cheap Pork ad Beans on the third rack below my briskets or butts then just chop some of the meat up and put it in them ans see what happens.  But if I smoke some onions and garlic does that give good smoke flavor to a pot O' BBQ beans?  Catch my drift here.

Heres what I did.  1 bag small red beans.  Put beans in pressure cooker and cover with 2 inches of water.  Bring to a boil and leave for a couple of minutes.  Turn off gas(or electric) and let steam disapate on its on(don't open the valve to let the steam out).  Wait about 15 minutes then strain the water off the beans and rinse throughly also checking for small pebbles.  This first step takes away from the after effects of beans[;)].  Put the beans back in the pressure cooker and cover with another 2 inches of water along with your desired amount of salt(I just pour it in until it looks right sorry no measuring), whole cloves of roasted garlic(again this is up to you.  I used 3 cloves of elephant garlic(probally 8-10 regular cloves)and any other spices you like, a couple slices of raw bacon and a whole quartered smoked onion(you can chop this finer if you want).  I kept it simple with no other added spices.  Bring back to a boil on high heat and let it really steam for about 3-5 minutes then turn off the heat and let the steam again come out on its own.  Once all the steam is gone say 15 minutes again drain the beans but don't rinse.  Pour the beans in a glass baking dish and mix in brown sugar and ketchup until your desired consistency.  Also add some preparred mustard or mustard powder.  Bake at 350°f for 30-40 minutes until bubbly.  Then eat um up.  If you want a stronger smoke flavor(most of my folks like a subtle smoke flavor) definitely add some smoked brisket or like you said slide them in the smoker during the last hour or so of the smoke period.  Try it both ways but it was just right to me without any extra smoke time or smoked meat(I call the ones with meat in them Ranch Beans).

Jeff

MallardWacker

Copied and printed, Thanks!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

<br />Copied and printed, Thanks!
No problem[:)].  After you open the pressure cooker the second time the beans should be about completely done but not mushy.

Jeff

JJC

Jeff, that recipe sounds delicious [:p]!  It's on my list for my first weekend back from vaca!

BTW, those Dizzy Pig rubs are absolutely great.  Even got my wife to try the Red Eye on a steak, and even though she hardly ever likes her steak coated or covered with anything, she really enjoyed the subtle coffee flavor of the Red Eye.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />Jeff, that recipe sounds delicious [:p]!  It's on my list for my first weekend back from vaca!

BTW, those Dizzy Pig rubs are absolutely great.  Even got my wife to try the Red Eye on a steak, and even though she hardly ever likes her steak coated or covered with anything, she really enjoyed the subtle coffee flavor of the Red Eye.

John,
I'm glad you are enjoying them.  Have fun on your vacation[:D].

Jeff