wanting to smoke a 9 lb turkey breast but confused how to go about it

Started by cabledude7155, October 24, 2009, 10:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabledude7155

I have a 9 lb turkey breast( Butterball) that i want to trial smoke before thanksgiving. I see so many different recipes to try so I am not sure which one to use same with the brining. Usually i use MTQ to brine, but i keep seeing Kosher salt to use instead. And i see some adding other ingredients to the brine is this a good idea? I also see some turkeys that are fully cooked in the Bradley and others smoked then moved to the oven. I would like to cook completely in the Bradley. So what I am asking is a full proof recipe( Brine, how long to brine, temps, length to smoke time to cook). I also plan on smoking with apple and hickory, I have considered Mesquite but concerned, but had a bad experience with it. Also do you recommend the vent fully open?

KevinG

I haven't done a turkey yet, but I'm sure someone will be here soon to help. One thing about doing the bird in entirely in the Bradley is the skin will be a little rubbery - it will look very good but it definately is chewy. You also want to keep the brine at about 21 degrees (use a brine tester), every chicken I did was too salty because I didn't check it.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

squirtthecat

Answering backwards...

Yes, keep the vent wide open.

Apple/hickory mix would be nice.  I typically use Apple/Pecan or Apple/Oak.  Or Pecan/Oak.  Just whatever packages I have open.

I cook mine the entire time in the Bradley, and they turn out great.   I usually don't brine mine, although I did do a buttermilk brine once and it was really good.  I can find the recipe if you like.

I oil mine with EVOO and then work the rub in.  This helps it brown nice and pretty.

Using a temperature probe, I cook at 220 degrees (2.5 hours of smoke) until the IT hits 155.  Then pull it and wrap in foil (towel, cooler..) to let it rest for a while.  It'll keep cooking, and the IT will raise to 160 or more.

cabledude7155

squirrel that could be interesting(butter milk). is it true though if you cook it all the way in the Bradley that the skin gets rubbery? I am looking for a nice brown(done) outer skin.

HawkeyeSmokes

I've done chicken where the skin was a bit rubbery. Here's a link to a turkey breast that Pensrock did and it looks great. I plan on trying it as soon as I get a turkey breast.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12046.0
HawkeyeSmokes

squirtthecat

I haven't found the skin rubbery at all, but we don't eat that much of it to begin with.

I'll find the buttermilk brine post..   However, for a 9 pounder, it will take a LOT of buttermilk.   I usually just do the little 3 pound boneless breasts.

pensrock

The turkey breast I did came out great. I did finish it in the oven to make sure the skin was crisped up. I did not brine the bird and it was nice and moist. The link Hawkeye posted should give you a good idea how I did it, and will do it again.

ArnieM

Hi cabledude.  Here's one about the same size (9 pounds) I did a little while back.  Everyone loved it.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11838.0
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

Butterballs don't need to be brined, the are injected with a brine at the factory. If you want to add flavor, I would suggest injecting. You can purchase commercial made or make your own Turkey Injection Recipes

Using TQ will give the turkey a more ham like flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)