Pastrami tomorrow

Started by KyNola, October 24, 2009, 01:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Just rubbed down a corned beef brisket with Habs pastrami dry rub.  Will be smoking that boy tomorrow.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Might miss all the action, but I will check out the leftovers when I get home. G/L on your smoke.

FLBentRider

KyNola,

Have you ever done one from "scratch" ( cured from a raw brisket) ?

That's the only way I've done them. I would be curious to compare the results.

Maybe next time I do pastrami I will do one from a corned beef.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 24, 2009, 01:40:54 PM
KyNola,

Have you ever done one from "scratch" ( cured from a raw brisket) ?

That's the only way I've done them. I would be curious to compare the results.

Maybe next time I do pastrami I will do one from a corned beef.

I may be very subjective on this subject. ;D

I have tried both ways and prefer to do it from scratch. There is something about commercially produced corned beef that I get a strong metal after taste. Also I prefer the texture of curing with a dry cure, as to brining.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

I've done one from scratch and wanted to try one from a corned beef brisket for comparison sake.  To add insult to injury, I'm thinking about smoking this one in my Traeger.

Hey Habs I have a question for you.  Do you think you could substitute ground dry mustard for the whole mustard seed?  I have tried a half dozen different ways to grind the mustard seeds but they are so small and hard that I have been unsuccessful in grinding them to my liking.  If you think you could sub, how much ground dry mustard do you think would be comparable to 2 tbsps of whole mustard seed?

KyNola

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I do want FLB does, just to crack them open. If you want to sustitute ground mustard use half the amount of whole seed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

KyNola

Thank you for the information.  If I have time I will post pics of the finished product if anyone is interested.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Food? Pictures? Who's not interested? If you have time.

KyNola

Pastrami went in at 10:00 this morning. 3:00 now and the IT is 143.  Shouldn't be too much longer.  If it tastes half as good as it smells this is going to be incredible. :D

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

KyNola;

I forgot to mention if you have a burr grinder that works really well on mustard and other small whole seed spices.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

KyNola

Thanks Habs.  You just made me remember that I have 2 different pepper grinders that should grind the crap out of those seeds.  Thank you once again my friend!

KyNola

centflasmoker

Heck yes, we want to see, would expect anything less... :o

watchdog56

Kynola, I know it is a little late but did not see this until today.I made some last week and it was excellent. I did not slice until the next day. This is what I did.
October 18 2009 did a corned beef brisket.Temp was to hit 60.Using maple smoke for 4 hours.
Made a rub using 2 tblsp ground pepper corn and 1/2 tblsp ground coriander seed.Next time buy
the ground one already, 1/2 tblsp onion powder,1 tsp paprika,1 tsp thyme,1 tsp garlic
powder. Took corned beef out of package and drained the juice.Rinsed and put in plastic
container. Put in frig for 36 hours and changed the water about 3-4 times to get salt out.
Put rub on amd back in frig overnight.Took out and let get to room temp. Started smoke for 1 hour
at 160 then 175 for 1.5 hours then took to 240 for 7 hours or until IT hits 170. Hit 170 after
9 hours. Took out and FTC for 4 hours. Put in frig overnight to slice up thin. Came out
excellent.

KyNola

WD56,
Thanks for your input.  Just sliced a small piece to test it and it is a little salty.  Will take your advice next time about soaking and changing the water to cut down on the salt.  Other than that OMG is this good!

Pics up soon.

KyNola