My OBS is Cracked

Started by ArnieM, October 25, 2009, 09:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I noticed this today.  I was giving the OBS a quick cleaning to make it look almost sanitary prior to doing a small port loin.  Then I saw the crack.  I know it won't hurt smoking performance but it is kinda unsettling.  The OBS isn't even two months old yet.  Has anyone else seen anything like this?  Pic below.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

HawkeyeSmokes

HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

This is common. the fix for it in the link Hawkeye posted will solve it. But give brian a call on monday. That is should be still under warranty. He'll fix you up.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Thanks for the link Hawkeye and your reply CQ.

From the link:

One member believes that this is a design error, and the crack happens due to the stress cause by the weight of meat loaded in the cabinet.

About the most meat I've had in there was a 9 bound turkey breast on one shelf and a 9 pound brisket on two shelves.  If I add the two bricks, that's probably about 16 pounds total.  I would have hoped the cabinet could handle that kind of weight.

And, yeah, I'll give Brian a call on Monday.

Thanks for your help guys.
-- Arnie

Quarlow

Yeah, I don't think it's the load as I put 30 lbs of salmon in mine often and it has not crack yet. But I am going to put the other feet on to help keep anything from running out into the temp controller. From others who have had the problem they have recieved a new part from "Bradley" with just a call, But get those rear legs and mod yours like the link.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

You are still under warranty, so call Bradley Tech support.

Since I've done the modification I have not had any problems with the face plate.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JGW

Arnie,  Happened to mine a couple of weeks ago.  Contacted Bradley, and they sent a new face plate out with the switch.  You'll need your serial number when you call.

I haven't installed it yet, as I am going to do the mod first so it doesn't happen again.

ArnieM

Thanks habs.  I'll be calling tomorrow.  If this seems to be a known problem, why can't we (I) get a 'fix' kit instead of just a replacement panel?  I'll chat with Brian tomorrow.
-- Arnie

Dr. Evil

Quote from: ArnieM on October 25, 2009, 10:16:05 AM

From the link:

One member believes that this is a design error, and the crack happens due to the stress cause by the weight of meat loaded in the cabinet.

Not all the time - Mine was cracked when i pulled it out of the box - my brothers was the same way.
Brian Bradley for Prime Minister !!

ArnieM

Thanks for the info JGW.  One would think, if it's a pretty well known problem, Bradley would come up with a proper fix rather than a DIY fix from savvy members.  If this was happening to my electric range, I'd be getting pretty annoyed.
-- Arnie

Dr. Evil

Apparantely the fix is to get a set of back feet and install them on the front.  Not the best design.
Brian Bradley for Prime Minister !!

ArnieM

Thanks Dr. E.  I'll be speaking with Brian tomorrow.

-- Arnie

JGW

I think I'm going to use a piece of wood across the front (behind the plastic feet)....getting ready to build a "home" for my OBS, so I'll incorporate the "fix" into the design.

ArnieM

Quick follow up.  I spoke with Brian today.  He had a U.S. dealer call me.  The dealer is supposed to be shipping out a replacement panel and a couple of back feet so I can mod it.  Looks like good service.  Gee, too bad service people can't come out to the house.  ;D ;D ;D
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on October 26, 2009, 05:02:11 PM
Quick follow up.  I spoke with Brian today.  He had a U.S. dealer call me.  The dealer is supposed to be shipping out a replacement panel and a couple of back feet so I can mod it.  Looks like good service.  Gee, too bad service people can't come out to the house.  ;D ;D ;D

I think I'll call him as well...   Mine cracked a few weeks ago.   Didn't notice it until I was wiping up some drips.