My OBS is Cracked

Started by ArnieM, October 25, 2009, 09:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LindaCC

Does this only happen on the OBS or do I need to modify my feet before it happens to mine??? DBS 6rk.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: LindaCC on October 26, 2009, 05:15:29 PM
Does this only happen on the OBS or do I need to modify my feet before it happens to mine??? DBS 6rk.

OBS only Linda. The DBS doesn't have that faceplate so you are good to go.
HawkeyeSmokes

outdoorsfellar

Not that it would have mattered while I was smoking up some Sheekin Rolls earlier today, this is very good info. I fired up the table saw while smoke was pouring out of the OBS to rip a piece of wood to prevent any possible cracks just the same.  Oh by the way, I can't wait to have leftovers for lunch tomorrow  ;D .....

ArnieM

This is my best info from Brian.

Yes, it can happen with the OBS and they're looking at it (don't quote me).  He doesn't believe it's caused by a load of good stuff in there.  It can happen if you carry your OBS around and put it down front first.  You can see from my original post that the crack runs up by a small Phillips head screw.  Brian suggested drilling the hole for the screw out "just a bit" and then don't screw it down too tightly.  He said the "fix" seemed to work for some but not others.

That's about all I can tell you.  I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement.  Now I duck.   ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on October 26, 2009, 06:06:56 PM
  It can happen if you carry your OBS around and put it down front first. 

Guilty as charged.   :(   I manhandled that thing in and out of my little 'smoker shed' many times getting everything lined up and tucked away..

ArnieM

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 26, 2009, 06:25:55 PM

Guilty as charged.   :(   I manhandled that thing in and out of my little 'smoker shed' many times getting everything lined up and tucked away..

Squirt - give Brian a call.  Mention my name and that with $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.   ;D  You have to realize that this is not only plastic, but plastic made in China.  But, so far, Bradley customer service is great.

We got a new Electrolux French door, bottom freezer fridge in July ($3500 worth).  We had a problem and called for service.  The service guy came out and said "Wow, I've never seen one of these before."  Oh $hit.
-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on October 26, 2009, 06:38:41 PM
Quote from: squirtthecat on October 26, 2009, 06:25:55 PM

Squirt - give Brian a call.  Mention my name and that with $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.   ;D  You have to realize that this is not only plastic, but plastic made in China.  But, so far, Bradley customer service is great.

We got a new Electrolux French door, bottom freezer fridge in July ($3500 worth).  We had a problem and called for service.  The service guy came out and said "Wow, I've never seen one of these before."  Oh $hit.

Just an idea for any one that moves their smoker a lot. I bought a cheap 2 wheel dolly for mine. Every time I use the Bradley it needs to be moved and it makes life a lot easier and might help prevent the cracks from happening while moving.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 26, 2009, 05:10:52 PM
Quote from: ArnieM on October 26, 2009, 05:02:11 PM
Quick follow up.  I spoke with Brian today.  He had a U.S. dealer call me.  The dealer is supposed to be shipping out a replacement panel and a couple of back feet so I can mod it.  Looks like good service.  Gee, too bad service people can't come out to the house.  ;D ;D ;D

I think I'll call him as well...   Mine cracked a few weeks ago.   Didn't notice it until I was wiping up some drips.

I go to a wedding over the weekend and come back and find Arnie and squirt tearing up their smokers. Geez
Glad Brian is fixing you guys up.

ArnieM

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 26, 2009, 06:53:48 PM

Just an idea for any one that moves their smoker a lot. I bought a cheap 2 wheel dolly for mine. Every time I use the Bradley it needs to be moved and it makes life a lot easier and might help prevent the cracks from happening while moving.

I only move mine around on my 16x16 foot deck with a patio table in the middle - not much maneuvering room.  I treat it gently and pet it a lot.  IMHO, either the design or material is flawed but Bradley is looking into it.
-- Arnie

Dr. Evil

Quote from: ArnieM on October 26, 2009, 06:38:41 PM
But, so far, Bradley customer service is great.

X2

Thanks to the fine folks at Bradley.
Brian Bradley for Prime Minister !!

Habanero Smoker

If the crack happens occasionally when you lift the smoker up and place it done front feet first; for me that would indicate stress from weight or uneven load. Mine was on a chart I purchased from Sam's, it wasn't moved or lifted off the cart when the crack happened. What ever is causing it, I hope Bradley figures it out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

An (almost) final note.  Summarizing, I spoke with Brian around noon Monday, his time.  He had a U.S dealer call me a couple of hours later.  They took the requisite shipping and S/N info.  The replacement parts showed up today (Thursday).  The parts included two rear feet so I could do the mod mentioned here http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=769&postcount=12 if I wanted to.  Short of having a service person show up, I'd say that's darn good service!

The note is almost final because I still have to figure out how to take the OBS apart and replace the part.  :)
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on October 29, 2009, 04:36:10 PM
An (almost) final note.  Summarizing, I spoke with Brian around noon Monday, his time.  He had a U.S dealer call me a couple of hours later.  They took the requisite shipping and S/N info.  The replacement parts showed up today (Thursday).  The parts included two rear feet so I could do the mod mentioned here http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=769&postcount=12 if I wanted to.  Short of having a service person show up, I'd say that's darn good service!

The note is almost final because I still have to figure out how to take the OBS apart and replace the part.  :)

Take some photos...  Because I'll be doing the same thing soon! (once it ever stops raining, so I can go out and get the serial # off of my OBS)

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on October 29, 2009, 04:36:10 PM

Arnie, I bet if you asked real nice there are some very capable women on this forum that could walk you through it!  ;D You will need to supply your own screwdriver.
HawkeyeSmokes

Toker

Sorry to ask but i have to ??? i just ordered a new face plate and rear feet OK but do i have to order a switch with it? Can i remove the old face plate without any problem i mean is there any wire to disconnect or something? THX Frank