Simple Pork Loin

Started by ArnieM, October 25, 2009, 05:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I got a boneless pork loin on sale.  Cut some up for chops.  Had a piece for a roast and saving a piece for Canadian bacon.  This was the roast piece, about 3 pounds.

Basically, poor planning.  I got it out of the freezer and thawed it but had no time for brining.  So, I did a fairly simple homemade rub, chipotle, pepper flakes, garlic onion and paprika.  A little S&P, but no sugar.  Put it in the fridge over night. 

Here it's going into the OBS.

I did 40 minutes each hickory and apple keeping the temp at about 225.  It finished much sooner than I figured, only about 2.5 hours.  So, it was FTC it until I could get my act together.  The finish IT was 158, a bit higher than I would have liked.

The other stuff is getting together.  Sliced the pork for chops for a quick ride on the grill.

Off the grill.  The "other stuff" was al dente broccoli with pepper jack cheese sauce and mashed sweet potatoes with butter, S&P and maple syrup.  Sorry about the poor focus but I wasn't seeing all that clearly at that point anyway.

Someday I'll have to master that bacon lattice work on a loin.  For now, "Good Eats" to y'all.  :)

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

Hey cuz' that looks awesome guess I missed dinner eh.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Aw shucks CQ.  I meant to send you a PM earlier.  Hey, you're always welcome down here.  Drop me a PM if you're in the area and we'll get together and do SOMETHING.

I might actually drive down to see CRG once his dust settles.
-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

Arnie, bring cousin Q with ya and we'll smoke something.

deb415611

Wow Arnie,  that looks awesome.

Once you get your MTQ there is a recipe for smoked pork chops on the recipe site that is really good.  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87

Hopefull Romantic

Arnie, they do look awesome Congrats

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

FLBentRider

Looks nice Arnie.

Those loins get up to temp faster than you think.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Good looking eats there Arnie.  When it is already tender - no need for low and slow!   I like doing loins and will sneak one in on the last of some of my smokes.  For some reason my wife doesn't care for them - so I have them all to myself.  Another fun thing to do with them things is to smoke them at a low temp. - all you are trying to do is get some smoke on them and the beginning of bark.  Then slice them 1/2" to 3/4", season with salt and pepper, dredge them in flour, fry until golden brown and done. and put them things on a flaky biscuit.  Make ya slap yo mammy!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

Thanks for the comments everyone.  I took some ideas from some of the posts here and on susanminor.  I've done pork loins in the oven before but I've never smoked them and then finished them on the grill as chops.  I ran the gas grill up to 600+ and then did a place, rotate, flip, rotate for probably a minute each or less for the grill marks.  I was really surprised how moist and tender they came out.

Caney, I've done something similar with thin sliced pork cutlets and they were really good.  Of course, they weren't smoked.  That reminds me, I HAVE to get some Bisquick for those Red Lobster biscuits!
-- Arnie

OU812

Nice looking loin you smoked up there Arnie, thats the way I do it also.