1st time brisket

Started by DjSaneR, October 26, 2009, 07:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DjSaneR

This weekend I'm going to try a 6lbs brisket for the 1st time.  I've been researching but seem to find that a lot of people have different methods.  Can anyone tell me the basics of cooking a brisket?  IE: what temp? how much smoke time? how much cook time? 

6 rack digital

Thanks,

Saner
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

FLBentRider

WTS did a great writeup here http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=834#post834

I do salt, pepper, garlic powder rub

4 hours of smoke @205F

Continue cooking @205F until an IT of 190F or so. FTC for a couple of hours to rest if you like.

The last one I did took about 18 hours.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

FLBR has ya' dead on for basic and authentic (to Texas) brisket.  It's just a simple thing - a marriage between a man, a brisket, and his smoker.  Three in a marriage you ask - that's ok in Brisketdom!  

I would definitely try it, in fact, I strongly suggest doing it this way first time out.  Less complications the better.  Don't worry about the salt/pepper/garlic powder falling off - it won't unless you drag the meat across the grill.  In addition, you will have just the taste of the meat and smoke - the Essence of BBQ!  Then the next time - knowing what to expect as far as times, and what you have to do - then you can add additional flavors with rubs, marinades, sauces, etc....

You have a 6 pounder - it will not likely take 18 hours - probably in the 12 hour range (+/-).   It is likely the point of a brisket and has been trimmed of some fat - I'd strongly suggest you leave the rest on.   The 205 temp FLBR suggest, I would also urge you to use - the lower and slower the better for that piece of meat.  On a normal whole packer brisket - then I would suggest 225-230.  Do not put it on the bottom rack, but one of the middle ones. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

DjSaneR

Great, thanks for the advice! I'll post pics.
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

ArnieM

Hi Dj,

I'd say Caney is right on.  Keep it simple.  Based on my vast experience (I've done one) it took about 2 hours per pound.  I had 8 or 9 pounds in there.

You mentioned 6 pounds.  That sounds like half of a brisket, probably the flat.  You might shoot for 1.5 hours per pound.  But, the IT determines the final time.  Hours/pound is just a general guideline.

The goal is to get a nice tender, moist piece of beef that slices, assuming it is a flat.  If it gets overcooked it'll be stringy and it won't slice very well.  If that happens, shred it, chop it up, add BBQ sauce and make BBQ beef sandwiches on a bun.  The only real way to screw it up is to under cook it.

Good luck and enjoy.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

One other thing about briskets...

You might want to take a picture, or use a toothpick to indicate the direction of the grain.

It can be hard to figure out / remember once it is smoked.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

I think they got ya covered there DJ...Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

classicrockgriller

Saner, G/L and post them pics.

DjSaneR

Alright, let's start crossin' those fingers! I'll post pics. Thanks again!
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

Caneyscud

Yeah, good luck DJ.  Brisket is not the hardest thing to smoke - in fact it is pretty simple - just takes a while to get it tender.   What FLBR and other have said - simple - is king in Texas.  The latest Top 50 list for Texas Joints (the Brisket capital of the world  ;D ;D) include the top 5 being in Central Texas.  I have eaten in 4 of the top 5 and they do it simple.  Eaten in some of the other in the top 10 and they are the same.  Just good meat, good smoke, and simple seasoning.  No sauces (maybe on the table), no spiced rubs, no slathers, no foil, no apple juice, etc....  All the above can make for some good tasting bbq, but it is amazing how often the simple top the lists.  It lets the meat and smoke stand out!  Now in the contests, that way doesn't win all that often, especially in areas that are only familiar with sauced bbq.  Most of the judges are trained the KC way - sauces, rubs, spices, etc.....
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

HawkeyeSmokes

Good luck with it Dj. Follow the directions from all of the above and it will turn out great for ya.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Hopefull Romantic

Good luck DJ and keep us posted

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

DjSaneR

Well I went with Pachanga's method and decided to try out the mustard slather.
The whole brisket was covered with mustard after this picture was taken. 

Rubbed and wrapped for the night

4 hours into the smoke. Spraying with apple juice

So far so good.  I'll post pics of the final product when it's done tonight.
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

squirtthecat

Tenpoint5

Some good eats heading your way DJ!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!