1st time brisket

Started by DjSaneR, October 26, 2009, 07:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Looks good DJ.  It seems pretty light colored for 4 hours but we'll see what happens when it's done.

I'd move it up a level.  Too much heat on the bottom might tend to 'direct cook' and toughen up the bottom.  I'd probably also rotate the rack after 6 hours or so.  Just my opinion.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DjSaneR

Quote from: ArnieM on October 31, 2009, 09:29:18 AM
I'd move it up a level.  Too much heat on the bottom might tend to 'direct cook' and toughen up the bottom.  I'd probably also rotate the rack after 6 hours or so.  Just my opinion.
Thanks for the advice.  Just turned it and moved it up a level.
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

DjSaneR

Ok, the meat temp has been stuck at 150 degrees for the past hour and a half.. Is this normal?
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

squirtthecat

QuoteOk, the meat temp has been stuck at 150 degrees for the past hour and a half.. Is this normal?

Yep.  It will stall...    Be patient, as this is when the magic happens. (muscle fibers/collagen breaking down..)

DjSaneR

Yup, up it's going. @ 160 now. Thanks!
Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

KyNola

DJ,
All I can say is "Oh Man you are so gonna freak when you taste that brisket".  For a kinda sorta senior member of the forum I love it when a fairly new member does something like what you're doing and then post the results.  Can't wait to see the finished products and the big smile on your face.

Congrats, you're well on your way.

KyNola

ArnieM

That temp stall thing seems strange when you first run into it DJ.  I've seen it with both brisket and pork butt.  The IT seems to go up pretty quickly and then just stop.

You can go to competitions or fancy restaurants but the brisket you made yourself will be the best!  Until you do the next one.  ;D
-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

Be patient DJ, the rewards will be worth it. Remember, low and slow.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

DjSaneR

Well the internal temp finally reached 190 degrees at 6:45 last night.. All I can say is WOW.  It was incredibly juicy and full of flavor!! Everyone was absolutely amazed. A buddy of mine wants me to smoke one for his party next week.  I want to thank all of you for your advice. I couldn't have done it without your help!

Fresh out of the smoker. Letting it sit for 20 mins or so

First cut. Juices were almost squirting out!

Friends came over..

History.....

Bradley 6 Rack Digital
Weber Genesis S320
Weber Performer

squirtthecat

Good job!   That looks awesome...

Pachanga

Saner,

That is a beautiful brisket.  The hallmark of Barbeque is the bark and that is fantastic looking bark.  Evidently, you went from start to finish in the Bradley without foiling or boating.  Is that correct?  How was the tenderness?  Did it cut with a fork?  It looks great.  Congratulations on a job well done.

One of my favorite sayings is "Everything is easy, once you know how."  And you know how buddy.

I read a very interesting article by a real pro on briskets and he posted the internal temperatures of several briskets throughout the smoke.  They stalled at 160F (this is when the connective tissue and collagen start to break down at an accelerated rate) then took off again.  At one point, the temperature actually went down on every brisket.  I believe it was around 167 and they plunged back down to 160 - 162.  You hung in there, got good advice from board members and won the battle.

I am sure you did so, but be sure and slice across the grain for maximum tenderness.  Some people mark their brisket by slicing a corner and there are other methods.  I just push a little bark aside from the thin of the flat with the knife and can see the grain easily enough.

I can see one problem with your brisket.  It has evidently already started to happen.  Not only will your family be spoiled and refuse to go out for barbeque, so will your friends.  Oh well, that is the burden a smoker has to shoulder.

Again, congratulations on a a job well done. I am excited for you.

See you around the pit.  Good luck and slow smoking.

Pachanga

ArnieM

Looks like it came out real nice DJ.  I can't believe ya ate the whole thing!  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Quarlow

Hey DJ "WHERE'S THE BEEF". LOL nice job man, that is some sweet looking cow there.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Nicely done DJ - I would PM you my address to send the leftovers - but it does not appear that there were any!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!