TEXAS SIZE BOAR....A Piney Woods Rooter

Started by classicrockgriller, October 26, 2009, 10:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

My BL is a constable in the next county and he sent this to me. This was killed about 30 minutes from when I live. I don't know if they have an accurate weight yet, but it is over 1800 lbs. It was killed by a Medical Radiologist.

Oldman

Good Night Ms Moses...

What do you do with an old boar like that? Make a lot of sausage?

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

car54

WOW,

That is impressive. What did it take to kill it? I wonder how much of the meat is edible and how much is just too tough.

Brad

FLBentRider

After googling a bit, I'm not sure this is legit.....

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hopefull Romantic

Lord have mercy. Has any one seen any this size before?

FLBR do you mean this ia a production of like photoshop??

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Ka Honu

FLBR - I agree.  From what I find, the photo was probably taken in Turkey (and likely photoshopped) and 1800 lbs. is way high.

JoeHifi

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 27, 2009, 06:16:54 AM
FLBR - I agree.  From what I find, the photo was probably taken in Turkey (and likely photoshopped) and 1800 lbs. is way high.

Good research Ka Honu. Here's a link to some pics of it. In one of the photos a vehicle with the logo Nature Tours shows and there are in Turkey. http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=urbanlegends&cdn=newsissues&tm=25&f=20&su=p504.3.336.ip_&tt=29&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.naturetours.com.tr/approches/approches.htm
HawkeyeSmokes

FLBentRider

And it's from 2004.

I think the pics are real, the original description not so much.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Impressive boar, but those pics have made the rounds before.   Doesn't even need to be photoshopped.  Pretty simple perspective.  Notice something funny about the pose?  Most hunters and others who want their pictures with a trophy want to be touching it, or holding the head up, sitting on it, etc.....  No such in these pics.  So they are behind the boar a bit.  Notice that the men in the group photo are blurry - DOF problems because the photo is a closeup of the boars head throwing the men out of focus.   Also notice in the single shot that the camera is well above the boar, but all you see of the man who is behind the boar is his head, and notice in the group shot, and in some other shots from the site - the knees are well below where the head is resting.  The boar is on a high spot, while the men are lower.   Rather simple with a wide angle - exaggerates the size and makes it appear the men are near the boar because they are still in somewhat focus.  Ya wanna know how to make a fish look big - hold it up close to a wide angle lens. 

Although a boar that size is possible. - There have been ones killed in the 1000 lb range.  World's largest pig was a domestic from Jackson, TN in the 30's that tipped the scale at over 2200 or 2500 pounds - I cannot remember which.  There was also a domestic one of about 1600 pounds somewhere in the Midwest I believe. 

I believe there is only one group certifying record boars, and their record is just a hair over 700 lbs.   A big hog killed in Alabama tagged Hogzilla was probably bigger in the 800's but was buried before weighing.   Later the boar was exhumed and the biologists estimated it to be 800+ not the 1200 lbs the shooter claimed, also about 4 foot shorter than he claimed also.   
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Ka Honu

HonoluluAdvertiser.com
October 29, 2009

Two people hurt, two feral pigs killed in collision on Kauai

LIHUE — A 150-pound feral pregnant sow and her 50-pound baby pig were killed Tuesday morning when they were struck by a car on Kaumualii Highway near the entrance to Kahili Mountain Park.

Two people sustained minor injuries.
According to a Kauai County news release, police say the collision took place shortly after 5 a.m. They said two cars were headed east and that the drivers did not see the pigs on the dark roadway until the animals were very close.

The first driver was able to avoid the pigs, but the second was not. After the collision, the car spun out of control and into the highway's west-bound lane, where it struck a Kauai Bus.
The drivers of the car and bus were taken to Wilcox Hospital, where they were treated and released.

Police closed Kaumualii's east-bound lane for about 45 minutes after the crash. The roadway was completely cleared about an hour after the accident.

Expected news release for later today:  "Kauai Mayor Bernard Carvalho announced he will host a benefit luau tomorrow at his home with proceeds to be donated to his campaign fund.  Kalua pork and roast suckling pig will be provided."

squirtthecat

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 29, 2009, 03:07:22 PM

Expected news release for later today:  "Kauai Mayor Bernard Carvalho announced he will host a benefit luau tomorrow at his home with proceeds to be donated to his campaign fund.  Kalua pork and roast suckling pig will be provided."[/b]

You know, this will end up in Nepas' freezer...   You just know it will!

KyNola

Not only will it wind up in NePaS's freezer for free, the Kauai Mayor will no doubt pay for the shipping to NePaS's freezer! :D

KyNola