A variety of cold smoking resulty

Started by Norman, October 04, 2009, 09:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

This is HR's thread on "killing two birds".  Smoked olive oil and cheese in one shot.  Looks good to me.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11881.0
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Wallaby

I have cold smoked olive oil. I put into a cast iron skillet, thin layer over a large area. Smoked along with some cheese turned out great.

Mike

ArnieM

Wallaby - could you explain that a bit further?  Thanks.
-- Arnie

Habanero Smoker

I recently smoked some cider vinegar. I can't say I like smoked vinegar. I have been meaning to smoke some olive oil for sometime, I just forget to put it in. I use a pyrex pan, and put a thin layer of vinegar about 1/2" to increase the surface area exposed to the smoke, and applied 2 hours. I may smoke rice vinegar next time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wallaby

Sorry about not getting back sooner.

I have smoked it when it cold so that temps never got above 40F that the oil will not start to get rancid , poor into a cast iron skillet about 8-10 in in diameter and about 1/2 deep. I smoke this for 2-3 hrs using just smoke no heat. When done pour into a bottle and set for a couple days. When you open the bottle you will get a rush of terrific smoke smell. I use apple or lilac wood.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91239993@N00/3367113171/

Mike

ArnieM

That sounds interesting Mike.  Hmmm ... lilac.  I just trimmed up one of our bushes a couple of days ago.  But, even if I saved the clippings I probably couldn't turned them into bisquettes.   >:(  I'll have to give the apple a try.
-- Arnie

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the feed back. I may give this a try, if I every remember.

Just one thought, I believe you can go higher then 40°F, since olive oil has a long self life and is exposed to constant temperatures of around 70°F or higher.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

Thanks for the great idea Wallaby I am going to make that the first thing I do when I get back home tomorrow.

I wonder how much oil we can get in Nepas smoker  :D :D.

Arnie, I have seen nepas use small pieces of wood on the hot plate in his Bradley. If you have not thrown them away, you may want to give it a try. Wait till they dry though.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ArnieM

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on October 27, 2009, 07:47:23 AM

Arnie, I have seen nepas use small pieces of wood on the hot plate in his Bradley. If you have not thrown them away, you may want to give it a try. Wait till they dry though.

HR

The cuttings are gone.  They were only twigs anyway.  It was a dwarf Korean lilac and they only grow 4-5 feet high.

When I got my OBS, the bisquettes were a few days behind so I seasoned my OBS using some chunks of hickory I had, placed on the hot plate.  Certainly a manual process but it worked.
-- Arnie