Astonishing price on chicken (for stock)

Started by Smokeville, October 27, 2009, 12:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

T&T has stewing hens on sale --- 2 to a bag --- for $1.50 a bag.

I plan to smoke them and use them to make smoked chicken stock or cut up the meat for stew or soup.

Rich

PS This is at the T&T in Mississauga at Mavis and Central Parkway....

Hopefull Romantic

at that price, you can can do to them what you please and would still be legal in most countries.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Smokeville

These birds weren't pretty... all stretched out and squished.

Caribou

What a great deal Smokeville!
I thin out a few of my chickens now and then and the older birds make the best stock.  Nothing like anything in a can, way better.
I like to stew the birds, strip off meat, return it to the stock with veggies and make sage-seasoned dumplings...YUM!
Carolyn

ArnieM

Quote from: Smokeville on October 27, 2009, 04:19:57 PM
These birds weren't pretty... all stretched out and squished.

Hmmm, roadkill?  :D  But as Carolyn said, the DIY stuff is so much better than the stuff in a can or a box.  When you read YOUR ingredient list, it doesn't start with salt, right?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Smokeville

Quote from: Caribou on October 27, 2009, 04:30:28 PM
What a great deal Smokeville!
I thin out a few of my chickens now and then and the older birds make the best stock.  Nothing like anything in a can, way better.
I like to stew the birds, strip off meat, return it to the stock with veggies and make sage-seasoned dumplings...YUM!
Carolyn

I bought 4 bags, and plan to smoke them... smoked chicken stock is amazing. Great way to fool your friends with a secret ingredient.

Rich

Caribou

You're right!  That stock is going to be awesome.
We made potatoes O'brian added smoked shredded pork and it was the secret ingredient that kept them guessing  :D
Carolyn