Canadian Bacon....Brine Time is over and They are in the Smoker

Started by classicrockgriller, October 28, 2009, 06:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Can I take the brine pkg and freeze......wifie can do that if I call her every hr on the hr.

Habanero Smoker

Are you using a wet brine (pickle) or dry brine (dry curing). If you are using a wet brine, 6 days seems long to cure pork loins. But if they are in a wet brine, just have your wife take them out of the brine, place them in a sealable bag with as much air expelled as possible, and refrigerate until you can get to them on Monday. You can soak them then if needed. If you are dry curing I would follow FLB's suggestion. I don't see the need to freeze unless you are not going to get to it until much later in the week.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

Habs It was a dry brine....started on sat nit so thec, 6 days would be Fri nite. I am coming home monday for a few days before I go back. I could smoke them Mon or it may be tues. So just slice a piece and fry it to test for saltiness. If too salty, then soak and smoke.

FLBentRider

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 03, 2009, 05:48:30 AM
Habs It was a dry brine....started on sat nit so thec, 6 days would be Fri nite. I am coming home monday for a few days before I go back. I could smoke them Mon or it may be tues. So just slice a piece and fry it to test for saltiness. If too salty, then soak and smoke.

I believe the recipe calls for a rinse, and a soak. I would test fry a piece after that, and repeat the soak cycles until you get the salt level you want.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Buckeye

Haven't tried it with Canadian bacon yet, but a couple of weeks ago I did a load of belly bacon.  Did half as maple bacon (as usual). 

Cured the other half in MTQ and Sriracha (Thai pepper/garlic sauce).  Cured for 8 days, then soaded/rinsed to desired salt level.  Then marinated in pure Sriracha again for 2-3 days, rinsed again and smoked. 

Finally, the last 1/2 hour of smoke (50:50 hickory:mesquite), applied a light coating of Sriracha and sprinkled with cayenne.

Sounds like a lot of heat, but finished bacon was only mildly spicy.  The heat was more of an after-taste.  To mild for me but it was a big hit overall!   Next time, I'll be trying to "up" the heat factor a little.

. . . . my 2 cents.

Habanero Smoker

Follow the procedure FLB posted you should be alright to smoke them. After soaking, I generally will air dry them in the refrigerator over night. This also allows osmosis to continue. After soaking the salt levels near the surface will be lower then in the center, this extra time will allow everything to balance out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

classicrockgriller

I ended up dry brining 5 pork loins. Each were about 3 lbs.

2 were done in Habs origional
1 was done following the origional recipe with Cajun Seasoning and Louisiana Hot Sauce added
1 was done sub the brown sugar for turbinado sugar and maple extract
1 was done sub the brown sugar for maui turbinado sugar and coconut extract

The last pork loin I divided into 3rds and is marinading a carolina mustard/vinegar sauce. I will smoke these 3 tomorrow.

OU812

Coconut extract, sounds interesting.

I would definitely like to here how that one taste's

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on November 05, 2009, 05:42:28 AM

Might taste like pork candy

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 05, 2009, 06:22:11 AM
Quote from: OU812 on November 05, 2009, 05:42:28 AM

Might taste like pork candy

And better for you too  ::)

classicrockgriller

I did that one in Ka Honu's Honor.

Ka Honu

... and I am honored (if it turns out well; if not, I never read this thread).

classicrockgriller

classicrockgriller

Today is smoke time for my Canadian Bacon. They have been flipped , flopped and had love taps applied everyday.