Thinking ahead to Thanksgiving

Started by Huntnfreak, October 28, 2009, 06:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Glad to here your turkey was the rave of the party, sounds like it turned out perfect and with pepole going back for seconds and thirds proves it.

Quote from: Huntnfreak on November 25, 2009, 08:39:24 PM
When I made the switch the internal temp was 100 degrees.  It spent another 2 hours and 10 minutes in the Big Easy to reach 165 degrees. 

Am I reading this right, it took 2 hr 10 min to raise the temp of the bird 65 degrees? I thought the BE was like an oil fryer and would only take about 4 min per lb. Can someone in lighten me on this?

classicrockgriller

I smoked my 9lb birds to IT of 120 and they took about 45 minutes.

You will lose some IT putting your bird on a rack for the BE.

HF, might not have "warmed" his BE up.

Could have been cold outside.

Normally a 3 to 4 lb chicken takes 35 to 45 minutes start to finish.

OU812

Thanks CRG I was starting to get concerned that the BE wasnt going to cook like an oil fryer. A 9 lb bird that took 45 min sounds more like what I was looking for, 5 min per lb.

I sent Santa a wish list and the BE is on the top.

Huntnfreak

CRG was correct.  I did not warm my BE up before I used it.  I've never used it before, so I just went by the directions that came with it.  Next time I will warm it up first.  It was also quite cool here in Minnesota when I did it.  I don't remember the exact outdoor temp, but it was in the 30's.  The wind was also blowing a lot.  I had to move the whole unit during the process because the wind changed directions and I was trying to keep it out of the wind. 

Ka Honu

Quote from: Huntnfreak on December 02, 2009, 11:21:46 AMI did not warm my BE up before I used it. 

Because of the way it cooks, there's no reason to preheat TBE.  Moving it out of the wind (and cold if possible) will certainly help but preheating won't do anything except burn propane and make it easier to burn yourself when loading.