Whole chicken help

Started by Brian B, October 31, 2009, 10:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian B

Just picked up my BDS and already seasoned it. Now my first smoke is a whole chicken (7lbs).  Do i need to brine? or can i just ry rub it and smoke it.  Iv'e read other posts seeing that most of you finish it in the oven. Any help would be great. thanks Brian

Hopefull Romantic

Hi Brian B and welcome to the forum,

you can do either brine or a dry rub. S&P and some of your favorite spices would do and smoke it at 25 with your favorite wood. Take out at 165 IT.

Keep the vent open

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

aces-n-eights

Welcome, Brian!

I agree with HR - just an added suggestion is to roll smoke for about 1.5 to 2 hours (4 to 6 biscuits) and then just heat until you get your internal temp.  You can adjust for more or less smoke flavor as you continue to use this great smoker.

Definitely keep the vent at least 3/4 open to vent the moisture.

Enjoy and let us know how it comes out for you!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

classicrockgriller

after the smoke and cook to it of 165 you may or may not want to broil in oven to crispen skin, but you can make that decission after you get 165 IT.

classicrockgriller

Brian, one area in a chicken to get "done" id the joint at thigh and leg. You can help by slicing down to that joint to expose that bigger area.

KyNola

Open the vent!  Open the vent! Open the vent!  Did I mention open the vent 100%?  Don't have to brine but it's good if you have the time.  Rub the chicken down with oil or butter and then your favorite rub.  Into the smoker at 250 with 2 hours of your favorite smoke and then finish to 165 IT in the Bradley or transfer to the house oven at 325 until 165 IT.

YUM!

KyNola

KevinG

I think your record is stuck  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

I prefer to brine the bird if I have time.  If not, as has been said, just give it an oil job and a rub.

I don't know if any has mentioned it yet but OPEN THE VENT!  ;D ;D  This does two things.  It usually avoids greasy, smokey condensation from dripping down on the bird.  Not good.  The other thing is it gives you a chance for edible skin rather than ending up with a rubber chicken.  >:(

The problem with chicken or turkey is that you want a higher finish temp in the thigh area, usually 180-185 and a temp of 165 or so in the breast.  It can be difficult to get one without screwing up the other whether it's in the oven or the smoker.  I've never done a whole chicken in one piece in the smoker.  When I do, I think I'd start with the legs pointed back for at least 3/4 of the estimated cooking time, if not the entire time.  The smoker is hotter in the back and I believe this might give a better shot to the temp distribution we're looking for.

You can always pull it at 140 or so and finish it off in a 350 oven.  This would help to crisp up the skin some.

Good luck.  :)

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Brian, you can also do the beer can chicken.

ArnieM

As CRG said.  Beer can chicken always comes out good.  I've done it on the grill and in the oven but not in the Bradley yet.

Basically, take a can of beer, pour half off in a glass (that's for you) and sit the chicken on top of the can.  For your 7 pounder, I'd recommend a 16 Oz can.

You can always add garlic or herbs of your choice to the beer for flavor.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Brian B

i just want to thank all of you for you important input. i was wondering if  should open the vent?  ha ha ha ha  :) I'll let everyone know how it is (was) thanks again for all your help. the chicken is soaking in brine and it will go in around 8-9 am.  Brian

classicrockgriller

Tenpoint5

When I am doing whole chickens for the family I usually Spatchcock the bird so it lays flat on the Bradley Racks. Just a thought
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

JoeHifi

Brian B,

I've done the BC chicken with and without soaking (brining, marinate,).
And they've all been very good.

Joe

keanjr

with the 2 hours of smoke and the rest heat along will it take to smoke a seven pounder.
I need to experiment with a chicken before I do the turkey thing on thursday.
Is there a general rule of so much time per pound on poultry?
tonight I will be seasoning my new smoker and am anxious to smoke something but have not had the time needed to get the smoke rollin.
Love the forum with all the comments, suggestions, and questions.