1st butt

Started by ronbeaux, November 01, 2009, 05:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronbeaux

15, 20 whatever. I put enough in there for govment work. ;D

No smoke now. And guess what, temp dropped 15 degrees. Since I still had a little slide left, I jacked it(vents open!)

165 and holding. I've only looked once to refill the puck washer and it was looking pretty good. Right now I'm trusting my $20.00 Charbroil remote temp probe. Somehow my Maverick 7 came up missing in action. It may be where my last Blackberry went, into the Porta can at a bbq cook-off. (long story, but I did make $800.00 that weekend so I guess I can live with it.)
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Quarlow

Hey I just mentioned 20 mins cause if yours aren't going that long then something might be wrong. Hope I didn't ruffle some feathers Ron.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ronbeaux

No feather ruffling here Q, I just know from experience that when a manufacture tells you something will last 14 minutes and 22 seconds, they are most likely going to be off a little..........

Plus. I think it would be hard to tell if you added smoke for 3.5 hours as opposed to 4.15 hours.

Don't write me off. I just processed that "something might be wrong comment." Crap, I didn't even think that the puck pusher might have a problem. Bad timing sending pucks drowning too early or too late.

Honest question:
Do I need to sit out there and time each puck to make sure it is dumping them at the right time????

But is at 175 after a 2 hour plateau. I MIGHT get to eat tonight.

Tenpoint5

I seen the Chicken your Coon Ass cooked up you aint jiving me none about not eating!!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ronbeaux

Well. No BS. This butt was among the top ten I have cooked, including the 1st place one in a comp. OMG! I didn't even try to stab and jab this one, I just wanted to see what it would be like when done. Soooo. Here is a pic tour of the days experience.

In the Bradley just before taking it out at 190 IT.

Sitting with vultures waiting impatiently

The bone basically fell out as usual

Of course, the first one to taste got the prize

Pulled/fell apart

Served up on a warm onion bun

I just gotta say OMG!

Brad Stab

You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

KyNola

Way to go Ronbeaux!  Looks great.  Reel 'em in boys, we just hooked another one.  This one's from Zachary Louisiana.

My friend from Lafitte LA just called.  He's going to the Saints/Falcons game tomorrow night.  I called him a really bad name and hung up on him.  :D

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Looks really great Ron!! Glad your enjoying your new toyool!! If you do slip something in on a comp Let us know, We won't tell.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

joerom

Looks great,it always works in a Bradley.
                            Joe.

HawkeyeSmokes

Looks great Ron! Only thing missing is my plate . Welcome to the forum!
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

Ron, don't think you will have any problems mastering the Bradley.

That is a heck of a statement for the Bradley to be one of your finer butts you have smoke.

Nice pics.

Caneyscud

Ron, good looking butt there!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

watchdog56

Looks good Ron. So what temp did you cook at and how long did it take? I see you got your IT to 190. Did you FTC it at all?

ronbeaux

Except for about 30 minutes, I held 245 degrees with 4 hours of pecan and hickory pucks mixed until the IT was at 190, 12.5 hours total time.
I only opened the door three times and each was only for a few seconds.

250 is my prefered temp for bbq so I was in my comfort zone and had no problems with needing to take a peek. I just trusted my temp probe. I have not checked the calibration on the Bradley door guage, but 12.5 hours is about right with my other pits holding that temp so the guage must be pretty close.

And yes, I'm hooked. All three treble hooks right in the lower lip. I just ordered180 pucks from Amazon.

OU812

Thats some nice looking bark on the butt, looks good pulled, I see you have some coleslaw under the pork. I'm going to have to try that some time, well some time I find some good tasting colslaw that is.