Trick or Treet!

Started by squirtthecat, November 01, 2009, 10:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

That's a great price, then.   There are 2 kinds of honeysuckle roasts..   One is all white breast meat ($$$), while the other is a mix of white and dark.  Those are usually a bit cheaper.

A while back, I found some of the all white meat ones at a local podunk IGA for 6 bucks each.  I bought all they had left. (made lots of lunchmeat from that)

--

After cutting into these last night, I goofed with the IT.  Usually, IT of 152-ish is enough to carry over and finish in the foil.  Not this time.  >:(    They were still quite a bit pink and soft.   Will foil up and put on the gasser tonight to finish them off.   

OU812

Good looking breasts there squirt.

CT on turkey does sound good.

160 F works for me but some of the older birds will still be soft and slightly pink at that temp, so I always do the squeeze test to check for firmness.

squirtthecat

QuoteCT on turkey does sound good.

The smell was amazing...   And the final color was worth spilling that stuff all over the sink. (that stuff is seriously messy)    Somebody here at work asked if I basted them with Cheetos.  :D

These were heavily 'pumped' with some magic Butterball solution/goo, so I think that added water mass threw off my temps a bit.  I'll fix 'em tonight for sure.  Just had to microwave (horror!) a few slices for the Mrs to get them 'white'.

OU812

Ahh yes the "magic Butterball salution/goo" gotta have it.

squirtthecat

Last post to this thread...   

I fired up the oven last night to bring the Butterball birds past 160+ (man the house smelled good..), and chilled again for slicing tonight.

To misquote Nepas, this is how we Treet our Turkeys in Illinois!

classicrockgriller

Doesn't matter how you get there, just matters that you get there.

Beautiful end results.

OU812

Thats going to make some mighty tasty samme's.