Smoking Sablefish a.k.a. Black Cod pin bones HELP!

Started by Smokeville, October 08, 2009, 10:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

I've heard Sablefish smokes quite well, and as I'm allergic to salmon I thought I would give it a try.

I've got 2 very fresh fillets. The fish guy kindly threw in a 3rd small piece for free that had been miscut. At $17.99/lb that was nice of him...

I figured I would smoke it just as I would salmon or trout.... a brine, then smoke with alder and maple.

Any thoughts or ideas or advice??

Thanks, Rich

Kummok

Black cod is second only to King salmon in my book, Smokeville! They are extremely oily up here so we slice them into smaller pieces (actually the same size pieces that I cut my salmon into anymore) See: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8483.0  for pics of sizes I use for smoking, next to my standard fillet size. We brine (same recipe as salmon but all teriyaki instead of soy sauce...less salty) for up to 24 hours for better permeation in this oily meat, then we smoke twice as long...up to 8 hours...almost rendering the meat. Alder or maple will make great smoke. Absolutely fantastic fish to smoke!

Smokeville

Quote from: Kummok on October 08, 2009, 12:50:25 PM
Black cod is second only to King salmon in my book, Smokeville! They are extremely oily up here so we slice them into smaller pieces (actually the same size pieces that I cut my salmon into anymore) See: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8483.0  for pics of sizes I use for smoking, next to my standard fillet size. We brine (same recipe as salmon but all teriyaki instead of soy sauce...less salty) for up to 24 hours for better permeation in this oily meat, then we smoke twice as long...up to 8 hours...almost rendering the meat. Alder or maple will make great smoke. Absolutely fantastic fish to smoke!

Wow! I'm getting excited! I'll take some photos as soon as I can....

Smokeville

I had to freeze the fish... with the smoked turkeys and we also smoked a brisket I just ran out of steam..... lots of smoke but just no steam!

Smokeville

Well, now I've got the time. The Sablefish fillets are brined and air drying as I write this.

One problem: the pin bones are next to impossible to remove. I'm pretty good with salmon and trout but these are like pulling teeth and I can't get nearly 1/2 of them.

Any thoughts between now and 5pm???

Thanks, rich