Using a Bradley as a dehydrator

Started by Bass Cadet, November 01, 2009, 10:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bass Cadet

I originally ordered a refurbed Cabela's 80L dehydrator but it was DOA. Cabela's paid for return shipping and credited the full amount. Their customer service is excellent and I'm sure their dehydrator is also well worth it. It was just a little too big and noisy for the kitchen, so I decided not to re-order another one.

I've read some discussion of using the Bradley for dehydrating but don't recall anyone using a dehumidifier for air circulation. This has worked *extremely* well. The PID can maintain whatever temperature and the dehumidifier goes beyond circulation fans to draw out water from the air.

I've put in JT's 12 rack mod (must have especially for dehydrating) and have dehydrated several loads.

Beef jerky is perfect: smoke and then switch over to dehydrating without opening the door.

Quarlow

Hey that looks like a hell of a good idea. I don't have a dehumidifier laying around but could probably get of craigslist. I will be getting a PID, so I'll be set there. Good work BCadet. will the dehum pull the air down and still work, as I would like to set it under my bench and have the Bs on the bench or will it have to be up hill. Just worry about condensation running down the pipe.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Bass Cadet

Craigslist should have some. I bought mine off eBay for <$20 with local pickup. This dehumidifier has two speeds. Even on low it has plenty of air flow. I think it's better to run the air out the top because the heating element is at the bottom. There isn't much condensation. Eight racks of fruit usually yields only a few ounces of water. Other dehydrators don't draw water from the air. They just circulate air. There are also air filters in front of the intake and output sides.

Quarlow

Kewl BC thats on my next thing to do list. darn list is getting to long.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

HawkeyeSmokes

That's a very innovative idea there BC! Will be adding some JT racks to my Bradley and will try a little twist on the air flow problem.
HawkeyeSmokes

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)