Too much smoke?

Started by chopperloui, November 03, 2009, 05:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopperloui

In my efforts to clod smoke cheese & smoked pork chops, I am having a problem with smoke flavor being too strong or should I say smelling a bit like burnt sawdust or ash. Do I need more ventilation, ie open vent more or smoking too long. I used apple & oak repectively.
Any imput would be appreciated.

Dale
Bad Axe, Mi.

FLBentRider

How many hours of smoke did you apply ?

Did you vacuum seal or wrap the cheese in plastic wrap for 10 days to two weeks before tasting ? If you don't its like licking an ash tray.

Can you tell me more about how you did the chops ?

On the vent, open is better.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

Like FLBR said, you have to wait for the cheese to mellow before trying it. I like to wait at least two weeks, longer the better.

Hopefull Romantic

I agree with pens and FLBR regarding the wait and the vent.

I have cold smoke cheese about a month ago and started eating them only a week ago. I used hickory and for two hours. It is not as smoky as I would have liked them so I am going to try three hours next time.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Caribou

Hi Dale,
Just chiming in on the waiting two weeks on the smoked cheese.
It will smell and taste very ash-like if you try it right after smoking.
I've had success smoking with one hour of pecan, vent open, ice in the water bowl.
Carolyn

classicrockgriller

Dale, just something to check on your next smoke, use a clock to see how long it takes to replace your bisquette with a new one. If it is longer than 20 minutes then that could be your problem. If it at 20 minutes then you might need to open your vent more and age your cheese like the others have said.

If you have anymore problems just ask, we are here for you. ;D