smoked pork loin

Started by squirtthecat, November 03, 2009, 07:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

I've been tasked (Ok, given a case of beer ;)) to smoke 2 pork loins for a friend.  They want to serve 1 at Thanksgiving, and one at Christmas.   So, the final product has to be vacuum packed and frozen.

Questions for the experts:

- am I Ok vacpacking and freezing the entire loins?
- should I brine them?
- target IT, considering they will be thawed and reheated at a later date?

Thanks in advance!

FLBentRider

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 03, 2009, 07:25:07 AM

I've been tasked (Ok, given a case of beer ;)) to smoke 2 pork loins for a friend.  They want to serve 1 at Thanksgiving, and one at Christmas.   So, the final product has to be vacuum packed and frozen.

- should I brine them?

Assuming an entire loin, I would section them in 4 to 5 pound pieces. Or whatever fits on a Bradley rack.

Brining is optional, I would just put a rub on them and go for it.

I would take them out @138-140F IT, that is the minimum for pork, most people like it more done than that. When you get into the 150's it starts to dry out, since there is not a lot of fat in a loin.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 03, 2009, 07:41:29 AM

- should I brine them?

Assuming an entire loin, I would section them in 4 to 5 pound pieces. Or whatever fits on a Bradley rack.

I would take them out @138-140F IT, that is the minimum for pork, most people like it more done than that. When you get into the 150's it starts to dry out, since there is not a lot of fat in a loin.

Yeah, these are packer trimmed from the grocery store, so I assume they are in reasonable sized pieces..
Sounds good, they'll probably reheat in an oven w/ a bunch of other stuff, so it will continue to cook a bit.

Maybe I'll paint one up with some CT, and use a mild rub on the other.

Thanks!

ArnieM

This is the last (and only) one I did, just for reference:  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12160.0

It was roughly 1/3 of the loin.

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 03, 2009, 07:41:29 AM

- should I brine them?

I'd certainly agree on the lower IT because they will be reheated.  My IT got away from me and I pulled it at 158 and then cut chops and gave them a quick finish on the grill.  Surprisingly, they were still very moist and tender.

A 9-10 pound loin, cut in half, might just make it onto a Bradley rack.  If it doesn't, 'trim' off a couple of chops to help out.  Keep the scrap.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat