What our handles are about?

Started by Quarlow, November 03, 2009, 09:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

Ok, so this is for anyone who doesn't mind saying how they came up with their handles. Let's start with me.
Mine is the name of a robot warrior from an old 50's sci-fi movie that I saw when I was about 10. I don't remember what the movie was called but the story was that this robot warrior that was in a battle in the future and somehow got sent back in time. In the movie the people from our time encountered him and could not understand what it was saying. Someone figured out that it was speaking english but at a much higher speed. So he taped the robot and slowed it down to reveal what it was saying, then he play it back at slow speed to the robot and it learned to speak slower. It turned out what it was saying was it's name, rank and serial #. " I am Quarlow, smtmto". I don't know why this has stuck in my head since I was a kid but it did.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

I'm not very creative.  My handle is my name.  It's easier to remember when one's getting old.

When I was a little kid, I had a black and white dog.  I named it Spot.  Not much imagination here.  Now, we have a Bengal cat.  I named it Spot.  Gee, maybe that should have been my handle.  ;D ;D  Of course, Data on Startrek TNG named his cat Spot too.  Not a bad name.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

mikeradio

I own a two-way radio communication store.

Mike

classicrockgriller

When I got to the door of the Forum it was the only nick I could afford.

I wanted to be called ArnieM but they told me some guy named Spot already ask for that one.

car54

Quarlow,

That sounds like an early episode of twilight zone. It was like an early version of the Terminator.

Brad

squirtthecat

squirtthecat =  Squirt The Cat

My big guy is diabetic, and I get his 'supplies' at Walgreens.  They were nice enough to enroll him a in a prescription savings plan, as he is unable to find insurance coverage..   The name stuck.

Apologies for the photo.  My cell phone is as blurry as my eyesight this morning.

classicrockgriller

ExpatCanadian

Well...  I'm a Canadian living in the UK.... need I say more?

Tiny Tim

I'm a singer with a Falsetto voice, maybe you've heard one of my tunes..."Tiptoe Through the Tulips".  Oh wait, that means I'm deceased.  Okay, this one's gonna take a little longer.

Back in High School, I was usually known as "Bubba", but the Guidance Counselor that arrived during my Junior year, decided to call me Tiny.  Fast forward a few years (graduated in '88) to July of '94 when I started racing.  Night of my second race I went to the local bar right near the track after we got done racin'.  Sat with my cousin and a friend of his, and at the next table was the track PA announcer.  Up until this time, I was known as "The Big Boy from (my hometown)".  One way or another we got to talking and decided he needed a nickname to call me on the track, and I brought up both nicknames I had in school, and he decided to run with "Tiny Tim".  Made for some interesting snippets in race calling, as I found some creative ways to get around the track. :D

Been using that name ever since, and I think more people know me by "Tiny" than do as "Tim". ;D

classicrockgriller

OU812

Mine came from a Van Halen album but has more to do with cooking and eating good food than the album. This is the only place I use it, for now.

O     U     8     1     2
Oh  You  Ate  One  Too

classicrockgriller

Eddie Rocks !

OU812 is the eighth album by American hard rock band Van Halen, released in 1988. The album title is allegedly a joke on Van Halen's previous lead singer David Lee Roth's 1986 album Eat 'Em and Smile (OU812 translates phonetically to "Oh, you ate one too?"). However, "OU812" was also seen in the 70s sitcom Taxi written on a wall.[1] Furthermore, "OU812" is the license plate on the red Ferrari that Cheech and Chong drive in Cheech & Chong's Next Movie (released in 1980).

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 04, 2009, 08:38:09 AM
Eddie Rocks !

And OU would never be able to register on any repudiable forum with the followup album to that one..

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 04, 2009, 08:50:11 AM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 04, 2009, 08:38:09 AM
Eddie Rocks !

And OU would never be able to register on any repudiable forum with the followup album to that one..

You mean, For
              Unlawful
              Carnal
              Knowledge

I thought about it.