What our handles are about?

Started by Quarlow, November 03, 2009, 09:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rensho

When I hit 40 I decided to take the bull by the horns and to go from being an out of shape tub of lard to a lean, in shape, machine so to speak.  I've never been a runner due to bad knees (skiing) so took up bike riding.  I bought myself a decent Bianchi and started riding to work.  Didn't want to try too much too soon.  After a year I was making real progress and could finally keep up with the Mormon lads riding around town on their missions.  Things progressed further, I joined a local bike club and did a lot more riding.  Finally, after 2.5 years I thought my bike was starting to become a limiting factor so I splashed out for an expensive, custom made Japanese bike, a 3RENSHO.  They were beautifully built in those days - not like later.  After dropping 2K on a bike I told myself that I'd better get serious.  I did.  1800 road miles a month, built my own wheels, sew up tires, the entire 27 feet.  I looked like a gulag refugee, could do 100 miles of Sierra foothills in under just over 4 hours, resting pulse of 41 and BP of 78/36 (got dizzy standing up).  Not bad for a then 46 year old (reverse the numbers today).  Soooo, that's a long winded version of 3RENSHO.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

OU812

Man just reading that makes me tired  ;D 

Wow 100 miles in 4 hr through the foot hills, impressive.

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

muzzletim

Wow!!!

That is a impressive story. Thanks for sharing.
Tim

Tenpoint5

Pretty simple here. I'm half a bubble above perfect!!!!! Actually I enjoy hunting deer if you haven't noticed the Avatar. I have 5 tenpoint racks hanging in my office so tenpoint 5
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

saivenkat

That sounds like an early episode of twilight zone. It was like an early version of the Terminator.......
DigBands

Pachanga

Quarlow,

Thanks for starting this thread.  I was wishing for the same information.  

Pachanga is a South Texas Mexican slang word meaning a wild rowdy fiesta (party) which usually involves barbeque, music, family (including the little ones and dogs), compadres and outdoor cooking.

My home is Pachanga central.  I have a small house on a spoil island on the intercoastal waterway 28 miles south of Corpus Christi by boat;  Pachanga Dos.  My boat is Pachanga Agua (water).

Friends say it fits me like a glove.

As used in a sentence:

We are throwing a Pachanga this weekend.  I'll supply the meat.  You bring the Cerveza.  And not that ++*xx^% skunky stuff you brought last time, you cheap *x**^%%%**.  Lone Star longnecks will be fine.

Good luck and may all your Pachangas be full of fun and food.

Pachanga

KyNola

Hey saivenkat,

You should hook up with stone112 from Bangladesh.  His first name is Remon.  His weblink at the bottom of his only post to this forum on October 16, 2009 takes you to the exact same page dated 9/27/09 about Dig Bands Store, just like yours.  Should be easy to contact him since both of your email addresses are from gmail.

BUSTED!!

KyNola

aces-n-eights

Aces-n-eights - the Deadman's Hand - and no i don't have a death wish!  I took my handle from some local lore.

We used to live in South Dakota, near Deadwood.  In the late 1800's there was a gold rush in the Black Hills and Wild Bill Hickok found it was easier to make money at the the poker table rather than digging it out of the ground.  One day he went into Saloon Number 10 to play but the only seat had his back to the door.  He didn't like that, but wanted to play so took the seat.  Jack McCall saw Hickok in the saloon and, because of some earlier conflict, shot Hickok in the back of the head, killing him.  Wild Bill was holding two pairs - black aces and black eights - the identity of the kicker has been lost.

After a shootout with some locals, McCall fled the area and was later caught across the state.  A quick trial resulted in finding him guilty and he was hanged.

This shootout is re-enacted daily during the summer months in Deadwood today. Saloon Number 10 exists in Deadwood, altho it's been rebuilt in a slightly different location after burning down in a big fire that claimed many original Deadwood buildings.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: KyNola on November 05, 2009, 10:12:18 AM
Hey saivenkat,

You should hook up with stone112 from Bangladesh.  His first name is Remon.  His weblink at the bottom of his only post to this forum on October 16, 2009 takes you to the exact same page dated 9/27/09 about Dig Bands Store, just like yours.  Should be easy to contact him since both of your email addresses are from gmail.

BUSTED!!

KyNola

You told him Ky  ;D ;D

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

FLBentRider

FLorida recumBENT bicycle RIDER - the handle started on geocaching.com - I figured I'd keep the same one....

Although I'm on here more than geocaching.com and do more smoking than geocaching.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

3rensho,

You're story sounds eerily similar to mine, and how I ended up with more bikes than cars.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Pachanga

FlBentRider,

I am happy to know where you got your handle.  I imagined a Cowboy who had a horrible crippling accident on a horse.

My uncle Frank, who has passed away, was the foreman of one or the larger ranches in Texas.  He was a real cowboy. He had a dark leathery completion except when he took his cowboy hat off.  His forehead was a ghostly white stripe.

He came to my brother's office who is in orthopedics one day.  One knee was swelled so large his jeans (Frank only wore jeans except to church and funerals) were slit to fit; large cantaloupe size.  My brother asked how it happened.  Frank said that he was in the cattle chute on a horse and a cow was determined to back up.  There wasn't enough room in the chute for horse, rider and cow to pass so something had to give.  It was his knee. 

My brother asked when it happened.  Frank said three weeks ago.  Why had he waited so long to come in for xrays and an exam?  Frank said simply, "We were in the middle of a roundup, son."  Well, how did you get on your horse?  The reply was "The same way I got off." 

How was that?  "I had two cowboys lift me up on the tailgate of the pickup in the morning and bring the horse next to me.  I would swing my good leg over while they held me.  Then I didn't get off the horse until dark."  He did that for three weeks straight.

He was one tough cowboy.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachnga

Caribou

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 05, 2009, 10:56:21 AM
FLorida recumBENT bicycle RIDER - the handle started on geocaching.com - I figured I'd keep the same one....

Although I'm on here more than geocaching.com and do more smoking than geocaching.
Don't get mad me FLBR but I used to think your handle was short for "Full Bent Rider"  :D
Than I looked at it really carefully and realized it was FL as in the state.
Carolyn

FLBentRider

Quote from: Caribou on November 05, 2009, 01:48:55 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on November 05, 2009, 10:56:21 AM

Don't get mad me FLBR but I used to think your handle was short for "Full Bent Rider"  :D
Than I looked at it really carefully and realized it was FL as in the state.
Carolyn

;)

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!