Chuck Steak ??

Started by ArnieM, November 05, 2009, 09:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

It's on sale this week.  Anyone ever do it low and slow in the smoker?   ??? ???  I know I can grind it or cut it up some and make stew or cut it up more and make chili.  Any suggestions?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

I did those two shoulder roast and really it is probably no different. Low and slow.

FLBentRider

There are a few WTS threads on Chuck.

I did one a while back. It was good.

Sort of treat it like a brisket.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Let us know how it turns out...    I'd like to find something easier/cheaper than brisket that turns out the same. (I ended up cooking past 205 and shredding/chopping it for sammies)

Briskets are hard to come by, and are usually expensive - compared to chuck steak/roast.

classicrockgriller

I had put the Remoulade sauce on those 2 shoulders and thin sliced into lunch meat and they were gone in 3 days.

classicrockgriller

car54

You can do it very similar to pork butt and shred it.

Brad

Caribou

Hi Arnie,
Here's a link to a past thread on smoking a chuck roast:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8415.0
Carolyn

ArnieM

CRG, you ARE impatient aren't you?  :D

Thanks Brad.  I'd prefer to go for slicing but a BBQ beef sandwich isn't bad either.

Thanks for the link Carolyn.  I looked through the meat recipes but didn't go back that far.  I guess, like CRG, I'm kind of impatient.  :)

I'm passing on the sale items.  They're kinda thin and bone in.  There's some chuck roasts on sale this weekend for more $ but they're boneless and would probably be better suited to low/slow smoking.  I'll get some pics up and thanks to all for the advice and suggestions.
-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

Is it done yet? Where are the pictures? ;D

ArnieM

The pictures are coming CRG.  I didn't find any chuck I liked on sale.  My honey was out shopping today and also couldn't find anything I'd want to use.  Then she came home with this piece of chuck.  She said she knew I wanted one.  $3.69 a pound???   We're pushing brisket prices here!  Anyways, I'll give it a shot.

Here's the hunk of meat.  I just wish I got a shot of the cat trying to climb up the counter trying to get at it.

Here it is all rubbed up, ready for the fridge.  See if you can guess what I'm going for tomorrow night.

I'm figuring on 2-3 hours of oak, maybe a little mesquite in there and then cook until dead.  I'll get back with pics on how it came out, for better or worse. 
-- Arnie

Caribou

Looks like a beautiful chuck roast  :)
I can't blame the kitty  :D
Carolyn

ArnieM

Following up.  This cow probably ran marathons.

Mesquite first, 0:40, then oak for 1:40.  SG off after 2:20.  Running at about 220.  Vent about half open for the first 45 minutes, then wide open.

I started out with temps in the 30's and ended up at about the same temp.  For any that wonder if the Bradley works in cold temps, the answer is YES.

This hunk-o-meat was less than 4 pounds.  I pulled it at 191 after a little over 8.5 hours.  It was kinda falling apart in the middle.

I did an FT on the kitchen counter to let it rest.

Then come the veggies.  The green and red bell peppers were $0.99/lb.  I couldn't help myself.

Sliced up some onion and garlic to go with the party.

Everybody in the pool.  A quick stir fry and then added about 2 ounces of Pino Grigio, a Knorr's chipotle cube, cumin and chile powder and some S&P.

Cut up some Avocado to pile on later.

Edit:  Whoops, hit 'Post' too soon.

The Chuck turned out well but it's certainly not going to replace brisket.  It wouldn't replace skirt steak for this recipe either.  It came out a bit dry but was really tender and the end result was good.  However, pushing $4/lb for Chuck, I'll go for brisket any day.  If I can get a Chuck roast for $1.99/lb, I'll try it again.

Get some sliced up.  It's difficult to find the grain direction here.

Getting it together.  This pic had the salsa but was before we piled on the Avocado and sour cream.

-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

That is some mighty fine looking beef there Arnie. And I think the vampires will stay away from your house with that garlic!  :D Bet it tasted awesome!
HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!