Ain't your Momma's meatloaf from S&S

Started by SmokinMoe, March 06, 2005, 04:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

Smoked a meatloaf yesterday.  
I did NOT use ramp mode on my Guru and it was done in 2 hours & 20 minutes.  Pretty fast, which caught me off guard.
Anyway, I used Oats instead of the bread crumbs (which I think may have contributed to being dryer since it soaked up the moisture more) and I used Chiptole Mustard instead of the hot sauce.  It was good, but not as good as the past ones.
I used Maple smoke because I couldn't find my pecan pucks.
Haven't had that smoker out since the fall, so it was nice to smell that cooking and glad to know it was coming from our yard!! LOL
Thanks to all who resurrected this thread which motivated me to get back to the Bradley!!

<i></i>If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

MWS

SmokinMoe, I got inspired reading these posts and did a meatloaf yesterday as well. I had never done a meatloaf in the Bradley and boy am I glad I tried it. I followed the S&S recipe except for the mopping. It turned out fantastic and was done in about 3 hours using Pecan. Hello sandwiches today. [:p]

P.S. The corned beef posts also inspired me. I have a 3 lb corned beef brisket smoking as I type.

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

icerat4

Can you just put the meatloaf on a piece of foil thats placed on the rack from start to finish taking out the time to move it from one place to the other.

SmokinMoe

Icerat3,
Not sure what you mean except that maybe you are trying to keep from cleaning a dish and skip that step.  The only prob. I see with that is that you have to wash another rack because you really need to let the thing drip, it is very moist.  
A pyrex casserole dish is easier to clean than a rack. So, if that is your reasoning for putting the foil on, just remember, you would have to transfer the meatloaf onto something to take the foil off.
I have never tried it leaving it in the container the whole time.  I would be concerned about whether the bottom of the meatloaf will have the ability to get the proper amount of heat/smoke so that it can cook the underneath side and accept the smoke while it cooks.  If it is covered with foil the whole time, not sure if that inhibits that process or not.  
Try it and see.  We love "experimenters" LOL

icerat4

Chez seem to have said just put it on the rack from the start is this ok is this right.And how many pounds is the right size of meat.

Habanero Smoker

Some meatloaves are self standing others are not. If it is not mixed properly it will flatten like a large hamburger if a loaf pan is not used. I have a recipe for a self standing (no pan required) meatloaf, but most of my stuff is still in storage, so I cannot locate it. I got it from the CBS Saturday Morning Show about 18 months ago and added my own variations. They have those recipes on file, you may find it if you go to that site. Anyway I don't use a loaf pan. I just place mine on a cookie sheet, the type that doesn't have any side, and place it in the smoker. This way all sides but the bottom receives smoke. So if you do it this way you may want to think about cutting down on the amount of smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

Why cut down on the smoke amount the bottom wont be getting any so dosent that mean more smoke .And will the bottom like smokinmoe said not get cooked as much.Thanks for the help i just want to this with the best method i see out here and im getting a 50/50 way to do it .So what is really the best way rack or foil or pan it out.ill pick out 1 way and give ya my results lol.[:D]

SmokinMoe

The weight of the raw meat, if put directly on the rack BEFORE cooking it, would make it press through the rack so that when you went to pull it off the rack afterwards, it would be a real mess.  It would stick in between the grates and would pull apart unless you sprayed the rack.  It even does that if you use the jerky racks.  I have been there, done that.
You put it in the pan to FIRM up the bottom, so that you can then transfer it to a rack without the above mentioned problems.  Transfering it later makes the bottom accessible to the smoke and that permeates up into the meat as well.  Otherwise, it is much like when you put a very fat, raw burger on the grill, and then press it down, it sticks through the grates making it difficult to flip.
I wouldn't skip that step just to skip it.  Otherwise, all the work you put into making it would be lost and then you wouldn't be happy with the outcome. I have made about 5 of these things, so, although a pain in the neck, it is necessary with THIS recipe.  Another one may be different.

IKnowWood

They way I did it recently was with Jerky racks.  I strarted in a meatloaf pan for the prescribed 45 minutes (the meat was not cooked much.  Then I turned upside down on the Jerky racks and released it out of the pan.  So it was on its head on the racks.  I immediately moped it witht eh beer mop and stuck a probe in it.

Then every 30 minutes I beer mopped it.   and the last hour I basted with BBQ Sauce, upside down it allowed the sauce to move around the edges as well.  Worked out real well.

It did not indent it self in the racks to bad what so ever.  And loading it on a plate was real easy. Wide end down.

One thing I mentioned in a previous post to this thread was my odd notice of more smoker flavor on inner slices.  Remember the beer mop, it changed the outer bark, but helped keep inner smoke.  I just realized what that did.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

icerat4

Thanks lot guys the info. I will do it the way your saying moe.A FOIL PAN THEN OUT IT COMES ON THE RACKS 45 MIN-1 HOUR TIME.This beer mop you guys are talking about is that just beer if so what kind any brand.And if you beer mop do ya skip the bacon over the top deal or doing both is ok.SORRY for all the dumb questions i just want to get this right.By the way all the info i got here reguarding doing ribs is paying off with endless compliments how great the ribs ive done have tasted.Even a head chef of a very very large restraunt with bristo food had some and he said they were unbelievable.So thanks again guys you really make me look like i know what im doing.[:D][;)]

SmokinMoe

IKnowWood,
I agree with your post. I am saying if you DON'T put it in the prescribed pan first, it will press through the grates and stick
EVEN on a jerky rack.
Your description is EXACTLY how I do it, so it doesn't stick, you are right.
I was just trying to tell icerat WHY IT WOULD BE BETTER TO USE A PAN first instead of just throwing it on the rack and going.
Using foil on the rack and then cooking it that way without a pan does work, but you still need to take the foil off eventually to let it cook through, so why mess up two racks?

MWS

I made the S&S meatloaf last weekend. I placed the loaf right on the grate without a pan and it was fine. It didn't stick and kept it's shape quite well. Mind you it didn't have a shape like from a pan, but it wasn't flat either. Maybe I got lucky....

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

icerat4

well how about the beer deal guys.Seems either way pan no pan it works fine i guess its just  how and what ya put into the loaf to hold it together and how heavy it is and make sure its not to squishie.Ill do 2 of these at aprox 2lbs each and let ya guys know what happens.Thanks again o yea the beer deal anyone on this.[:D]

IKnowWood

Rat

The beer mop is in the S&S book right under the Meatloaf recipe.  I cannot remember at this time what was in it, there was not much else.  I used good old Michelob, warm of course and not in the smoker, pulled out over something else to allow the spill over to be safely contained.  I did not use Bacon, I do not think it would do much.  Especially if you mop.  It would wash some of the fat away.  The mop did start to pool on the meatloaf.  

Moe, yes exactly right.  Only one rack needed.  Pan is better in my mind as well.  I am right in line with you there.  

Mike, you got lucky.  [;)]  Or you have Good meatloaf carma, either way its all good.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

SmokinMoe

I didn't use the beer mop, you have the electricity thing going on inside the cabinet, lol.
Anyway, I did put bacon on top and there are two benefits:  you get to eat the smoked bacon and it keeps the meatloaf from drying out.
I have never used the beer mop, but the bacon on top has made it exquisite.  I have never been disappointed with it.