Ain't your Momma's meatloaf from S&S

Started by SmokinMoe, March 06, 2005, 04:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by icerat4</i>
<br />Why cut down on the smoke amount the bottom wont be getting any so dosent that mean more smoke .And will the bottom like smokinmoe said not get cooked as much.Thanks for the help i just want to this with the best method i see out here and im getting a 50/50 way to do it .So what is really the best way rack or foil or pan it out.ill pick out 1 way and give ya my results lol.[:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Because there is no foil pan covering the sides of the loaf at any time, and the loaf is getting smoke on all sides from the minute you place it in the smoker. I haven't read Moe's way in a while, but it sound like you start off in a loaf pan until the meat is firm enough to stand by itself, then you take it out of the pan and continue cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

Here is the recipe I was talking about, I can't find the recipe I that I used, but I used the basic ingredients. Of course you will have to adapt it for the Bradley. In step 7 I omitted the croutons, and placed the loaf on a cookie sheet. Before placing it in the smoker I draped pancetta over the top.

But this all may be a moot point, since the S&S meatloaf will keep it's shape without a pan.

Not-So-Basic Meatloaf   (Serves 8 )

Ingredients:
5 strips lean bacon, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
1 medium carrot, trimmed, peeled, and finely chopped
2 pounds very lean ground beef sirloin
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup finely ground bread crumbs
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 TBS bottled horseradish, well drained
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
2 TBS coarse salt or to taste
1 TBS fresh ground pepper or to taste
1 tsp. finely minced fresh thyme [or 1/4 tsp dried thyme]
2 or 3 cups croutons
10 whole unpeeled garlic cloves
4 bay leaves
1 sprig fresh thyme

Method:
1.   Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.   Place the bacon in a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the bacon has begun to crisp and most of the fat has rendered out.
3.   Add the minced garlic along with the chopped onion and carrot and continue to sauté for about 4 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and the onions are translucent but have not taken on any color. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the vegetables to cool.
4.   Place the ground sirloin into a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and milk and, using your hands, work the liquid into the meat. Add the breadcrumbs and continue to work the liquid and crumbs into the meat. Add the cooled vegetables, mustard, barbecue sauce and horseradish along with 1/4 cup of the parsley, salt, pepper, and thyme.
5.   Using your hands, gently work all of the ingredients into the meat until well combined.
6.   Place half of the croutons into a shallow baking dish at least 14 inches long.
7.   Transfer the meatloaf mixture onto a clean, flat surface and, again, using your hands, shape it into a loaf about 3-1/2 inches wide by 2-1/2 inches high by 12 inches long. Press the remaining croutons into the loaf, making sure that they are partially pressed down into it. Gently press the unpeeled garlic cloves into the top of the meatloaf.
8.   Carefully, lay the loaf on top of the croutons in the baking dish, reforming the shape with your hands if necessary. Pierce the top of the meatloaf with the bay leaves and thyme sprig. Place the meatloaf in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour or until the internal temperature reads 165° on an instant-read thermometer and the top is nicely browned.
9.   Remove the pan from the oven. Allow the meatloaf to rest for about 5 minutes before transferring it to a serving platter. Remove the bay leaves and thyme sprig; sprinkle the remaining parsley over the top of the loaf and around the platter. Cut the loaf cross-wise into 1-inch or thicker slices and serve.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

icerat4

WOW thanks guys.The info here makes me look like a pro.[:D].Thanks habs very nice.Just to let ya know if you have read any of my prior post im a total rookie here and i do the quick rub shake n bake deal i like it quick and fast no long out list to go with.But i do thank you for the time and the effort i really do[:)]I like to do the shake n bake thing with little chopping and dicing and such so there ya have it i said it.But you guys here are a bunch of help and i am getting better thanks alot guys.[;)]

iceman

HS you should post this in the recipe forum and enter another guess for the contest before it's over.[:D] Sounds wonderful![:p]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />Here is the recipe I was talking about, I can't find the recipe I that I used, but I used the basic ingredients. Of course you will have to adapt it for the Bradley. In step 7 I omitted the croutons, and placed the loaf on a cookie sheet. Before placing it in the smoker I draped pancetta over the top.

But this all may be a moot point, since the S&S meatloaf will keep it's shape without a pan.

Not-So-Basic Meatloaf   (Serves 8 )

Ingredients:
5 strips lean bacon, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
1 medium carrot, trimmed, peeled, and finely chopped
2 pounds very lean ground beef sirloin
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup finely ground bread crumbs
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 TBS bottled horseradish, well drained
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
2 TBS coarse salt or to taste
1 TBS fresh ground pepper or to taste
1 tsp. finely minced fresh thyme [or 1/4 tsp dried thyme]
2 or 3 cups croutons
10 whole unpeeled garlic cloves
4 bay leaves
1 sprig fresh thyme

Method:
1.   Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.   Place the bacon in a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the bacon has begun to crisp and most of the fat has rendered out.
3.   Add the minced garlic along with the chopped onion and carrot and continue to sauté for about 4 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and the onions are translucent but have not taken on any color. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the vegetables to cool.
4.   Place the ground sirloin into a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and milk and, using your hands, work the liquid into the meat. Add the breadcrumbs and continue to work the liquid and crumbs into the meat. Add the cooled vegetables, mustard, barbecue sauce and horseradish along with 1/4 cup of the parsley, salt, pepper, and thyme.
5.   Using your hands, gently work all of the ingredients into the meat until well combined.
6.   Place half of the croutons into a shallow baking dish at least 14 inches long.
7.   Transfer the meatloaf mixture onto a clean, flat surface and, again, using your hands, shape it into a loaf about 3-1/2 inches wide by 2-1/2 inches high by 12 inches long. Press the remaining croutons into the loaf, making sure that they are partially pressed down into it. Gently press the unpeeled garlic cloves into the top of the meatloaf.
8.   Carefully, lay the loaf on top of the croutons in the baking dish, reforming the shape with your hands if necessary. Pierce the top of the meatloaf with the bay leaves and thyme sprig. Place the meatloaf in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour or until the internal temperature reads 165° on an instant-read thermometer and the top is nicely browned.
9.   Remove the pan from the oven. Allow the meatloaf to rest for about 5 minutes before transferring it to a serving platter. Remove the bay leaves and thyme sprig; sprinkle the remaining parsley over the top of the loaf and around the platter. Cut the loaf cross-wise into 1-inch or thicker slices and serve.

Habanero Smoker

Iceman;
I will post it latter. I'm still want to see if I can find my revised recipe. I found the recipe I posted by doing a search on my current computer. My version may be on a disk or on my other computer that is still in storage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

icerat4

Hi guys the meatloaf seem to have come out a little pink in the mid section.I did use a bradley temp probe are these probs acurate.The temps read 157 every where i stuck the probe.Anyone on this.I put one in the pan like moe said and on right on the rack no problems with either one thery were both very good stand up loafs.I just dont get the temp on the prob deal and the pinkish look in side way wouldnt it be cooked all the way through at 157 160.Or is that how its going to be if so maybe i have a problem with my temp probe possibe i doubt it though.Please give me any advice here.THANK alot the loaf did taste really good the parts that were cooked thru.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by icerat4</i>
<br />Hi guys the meatloaf seem to have come out a little pink in the mid section.I did use a bradley temp probe are these probs acurate.The temps read 157 every where i stuck the probe.Anyone on this.I put one in the pan like moe said and on right on the rack no problems with either one thery were both very good stand up loafs.I just dont get the temp on the prob deal and the pinkish look in side way wouldnt it be cooked all the way through at 157 160.Or is that how its going to be if so maybe i have a problem with my temp probe possibe i doubt it though.Please give me any advice here.THANK alot the loaf did taste really good the parts that were cooked thru.
I bring my meatloaf up to 165 and there is not pink meat inside. It could be your probe, or you did not give the meat long enough to cook. Most meat products will stall at a certain temperature, before the internal temperature will rise again.

If it is the probe manxman gave good instructions on how to check the probe for accuracy http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1399 . I don't know what altitude you are at, but that has an effect on the boiling point of water, so also check out this thread http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/thermotest.html .Make sure that your batteries are good, weak batteries will give an inaccurate reading also.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

icerat4

Ok thanks i should have let it get up to 165 then.I live in illinois i dont know where i am on the sea level deal but ill try to find out .No problems out here with these bradley probs to mention out here.I will do the test also.Thanks again habs.O one thing if the internal temps are right then the amount of cooking should be ok also dont those 2 go together.

SmokinMoe

Also, don't go by time, but by temp.  If you wanted to push it a little to get it done faster, at the end, bring the cabinet temp up to 250 degrees and it will move right along.
Also, these are very moist, and having two doubles that, so it takes longer to cook.
Next time, just adjust the cabinet temp. at the end, and WAIT for it to go 160-165 degrees.  Remember, better to wait then to get food poisoning.
Congrats on your first meatloaf.  You will be a pro the second time and won't be so worried, you will be experienced.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us and letting us help you through.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

icerat4

Thanks moe and i will do better next ones for sure.Heres the thing i did nuke one of them today for 3mins waited 2 mins waited then a final 1 min in the nuker.It was perfect loaf then funny huh.Everyone here at my shop loved it i was close but next time ill be right on and
 i will check my prob tonight.Here is what i used

3.75 mix pork n ground beef
tabasco sauce couple shots
lea perrian worster
2 eggs
lil bread crumbs
diced onions and green peppers
dizzy dust

SmokinMoe

If you want a PERFECT tasting meatloaf, NEXT TIME, make yourself follow the S&S recipe at the beginning of this thread.  You have to at least try it before you move on.  I can't tell you how many people will eat this meatloaf vs. a reg. meatloaf.  But, do yourself a favor, and follow that recipe to the "T" next time you try.  I PROMISE YOU WILL <b></b>NOT<b></b>BE DISAPPOINTED.  
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

icerat4

ok moe i got all the stuff to do this meatloaf 1 question the T IS FOR TABLESPOON AND THE t is for teaspoon right.Im going for it ill let ya know my results.thanks again

icerat4

Hey moe the loaf is in .Everything to a tee.Me and my daughter were laughing as we put in all these ingredients in .I thought we were building the empire sate building.[:D] Will see what we get 165 and its comming out.Thank for the help.[;)]

IKnowWood

icerat, you are keeping the temps lower at 200 to 210 right?  

That lower temos helps to ensure a more even cook thru-out.  

You will like this.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

icerat4

Yes sir.Guys i did it and this WAS the best id ever had Yummy.Eveything just came out great.Thanks alot for all your help here now that i have this down pat on to the next project.HEY MOE. Thanks again[;)]