Ain't your Momma's meatloaf from S&S

Started by SmokinMoe, March 06, 2005, 04:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

Well, if you haven't tried this recipe for meatloaf in the smoker, you haven't had meatloaf!! I tried it last night, it made it taste almost like a steak (except for the texture of course) I just can't believe what a smoker can do to such a mundane food!! It smelled great and the taste was even better.  It took a little longer to cook than the book called for, but I just cooked until I reached an internal temp of 160.  It was the best meatloaf I have had in my entire life.
Was easy to make and sure was a nice departure from the different recipes I have tried searching for a good meatloaf.  It was NOT dry at all.  Very moist for sure. In fact, it even tastes better cold.
Giving it two thumbs up!!
Oh, and we did the jalenpeno shrimp again.  4lbs worth!! It was perfect as usual.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

SmokinMoe

Woo hoo, I have graduated to a Senior member, I feel so OLD! LOL

Chez Bubba

Moe,

Sounds great! That goes onto my must try list.

Another "mundane-to-magical" trick is store bought Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans sausage chubs. Just unwrap, season a bit & toss them in the smoker for a couple of hours. People will refuse to believe what it is when you tell them.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

smokinmoe next time , add some choped up bacon with some jalenpenos to your meat loaf, then lay some bacon strips on top with a tad of ketchup on top. [;)]

SmokinMoe

I did put bacon on a rack above it because I was scared it would dry out with a longer cook time.  It was not dry at all.  The bacon was great while we waited for the meatloaf.
The kiddos were eating this too, so the jalenpenos would not be a good idea for them!!  Otherwise, I would try that in a heartbeat.
We also did the shrimp again, and I added more vlasic zesty pepper ring stackers on top of the shrimp. They were really good smoked.  I was finally able to try them myself instead of taking someone's word on it.

johnintx1

I cooked meatloaf as well this weekend. I am not crazy about meatloaf. But it was good and it was better than any other ML I have eaten. I gave it to my mother in law,she cant stop telling people bout that M.L.

Smoke on!!

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="4"><font color="red">add some choped up bacon with some jalenpenos ...</font id="red">  </font id="size4"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Man Rob I knew you were a smart guy.....

Mr. CHEEPBUTT HERE, is the recipe too long to post, would like to see it.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokinMoe</i>
<br />Woo hoo, I have graduated to a Senior member, I feel so OLD! LOL
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Congrats, SmokinMoe!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Torchman

So how exactly do you smoke a meatloaf??? It sounds GREAT!! And meatloaf is not "mundane"..it the ultimate comfort food!! :-)

BigRed

SmokenMOE!

What are the chances of getting your Meat Loaf recipe form? What kind of bisquttes did you smoke with? How long did it take? You said 160 degrees internal? WELOVE meat loaf.

Thanks in advance for the info.

BigRED

SmokinMoe

I will post it this afternoon, I have to get to work right now.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Torchman</i>
<br />So how exactly do you smoke a meatloaf??? It sounds GREAT!! And meatloaf is not "mundane"..it the ultimate comfort food!! :-)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">No pan, form a loaf & put it on a rack. Rack above with bacon doesn't hurt.

By mundane, I meant most peoples' associations with it, usually formed during their childhood. My wife's baby sister & brother coined the term "poor food" for meatloaf & several other thrifty recipes. Her mother's, and my mother's, idea of meatloaf was 60% ground beef smashed into a loaf pan & topped with ketchup.[xx(]

Anne didn't know she liked meatloaf until I made it for her. You know you're onto something when people would prefer a 2nd helping of meatloaf instead of some more T-bone off the grill!

You're right though, it is the ultimate comfort food. It just has to be done right![8D]

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Torchman</i>
<br />So how exactly do you smoke a meatloaf??? It sounds GREAT!! And meatloaf is not "mundane"..it the ultimate comfort food!! :-)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">No pan, form a loaf & put it on a rack. Rack above with bacon doesn't hurt.

By mundane, I meant most peoples' associations with it, usually formed during their childhood. My wife's baby sister & brother coined the term "poor food" for meatloaf & several other thrifty recipes. Her mother's, and my mother's, idea of meatloaf was 60% ground beef smashed into a loaf pan & topped with ketchup.[xx(]

Anne didn't know she liked meatloaf until I made it for her. You know you're onto something when people would prefer a 2nd helping of meatloaf instead of some more T-bone off the grill!

You're right though, it is the ultimate comfort food. It just has to be done right![8D]

Kirk

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Chez!

For your meat loaf  - What smoking brisquettes do you use and how many ? How long do you smoke/cook it? What internal temp do you want to get to? Sorry for all the questions but meat loaf is one of my favorites!

BigRED

SmokinMoe

SMOKE AND SPICE'S "AIN'T YOUR MOMMA'S MEATLOAF" I give them 100% of the credit.  Here is the recipe.  I used pecan and have used maple, but I am spoiled and can't get away from either of these.
I used an aluminum cheapo throw away pan to start it in and then just cut the end on each side, fold down the end and slide the meatloaf onto the jerky racks so that I don't worry it will break apart because of its own weight.  Just the way I do it, you can experiment!!
I don't saute my onions and the other things they say to do. I am lazy and it tastes fine to me.  But, just in case you have to follow to a T, take a T of veg. oil and saute all the ingredients up to the ground beef.  I MODIFIED IT by doing 1 lb of ground beef and 1 lb of sausage.  This takes care of the amount of bread crumbs it calls for and it being dry.
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 green or red bell pepper finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t freshly ground black pepper
1 t coarse salt, either kosher or sea salt
1/2 t ground cumin
1 1/4 pounds of ground beef
1/4 pound of ground pork
1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
3 T sour cream
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg
1/4 cup stock, preferably beef
1 t Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce to taste

Put smoker to 200 degrees. Mix everything together and make into a mound and put into a smoke-proof pan.  Smoke it for about 45 minutes (I think this is to firm it up so it won't break apart on a rack) and then transfer it to your rack and then cook it for another 1 1/2. 
Now, I never get off that easy with the time, so, I just put the probe in it and cooked until it was between 160-165 degrees.  AND, because I hate food poisoning, I probe it several different places before I pull it out.
I do a rack of bacon above it to keep it moist.  Your preference though.
Allow it to sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
They say to apply the bbq sauce with 30 minutes left to go on top of the meat loaf.  I DIDN'T do that with either of the loaves I did and they were fantastic.  I guess I didn't read that far down.
Have at it boys!!

2018 UPDATE
It originally calls for 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef and 1/4 pound of sausage, but I use 1 pound of ground beef AND 1 pound of sausage.  I still use the same amount for breadcrumbs.  Several posts on the thread said they thought it was too dry and they cut back on the breadcrumbs, but after about 2-3 times of making it, I just adjusted the amount of sausage and the loaf was bigger.

I pretty much stayed with the same amounts of the spices even though I added more meat but I just added a little more hot sauce to adjust.

Since there are many gluten-free people out there, I have used a gluten-free flour to make this.  My daughter loves this recipe but is gluten-free now.  It does NOT turn out well using that type of flour. It was definitely an entirely different texture and the meat loaf oozed (I use this word as descriptively as I can) a sort of slime-like something that was a good 1/8 inch thick all over the meatloaf.  It was pretty disgusting to me, but I did not say anything so she would eat it. 

Hope you find the recipe or the variations of it in these threads a good find.  Still smoking this recipe today!!!

SmokinMoe

Forgot to say, I do about an hour's worth of smoking.  But, make sure you step back from the door when you open to transfer the loaf to the rack.  Otherwise, you will understand why it is wise not to stand up and walk out of a house fire!!
That's coming from experience, lol.