Ain't your Momma's meatloaf from S&S

Started by SmokinMoe, March 06, 2005, 04:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

Moe,

I have meatloaf in the smoker right now.  I did deviate from the recipe you posted a little.  Instead of beef broth, I added less salt, but a whole can of French Onion Soup.  No Green peppers this trip, and did about one whole red onion because they are a little milder...I really did a corse chop on the onion.  

Started two loafs on sheets of foil, I transferred directly to the Jerky racks.. Now on a countdown to finish.  I did add some BBQ sauce right away, and will do the same when I rotate the racks in about 45 minutes.  Using my new friend, the Pecan.  Tomorrow I am going to repeat this recipe with another type bisquette

I just love meat loaf, especially the next day...Meatloaf sandwiches...ah, so good!  Will have to vacuum marinate, as doing up 6 lbs of Beef mixed with 1# or pork in the two different batches...no company expected, so have to freeze for later.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

ChefBill

Bill,
Meatloaf Sammiges be left over food from the Gods. [:p]
Wonder what would happen if you put the meatloaf in a really hot frying pan to firm the bottom then go from pan to rack and in BS???[?] Just a thought!! ChefBill

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

SmokinMoe

Bill,
Can you marinate ground beef?  LOL
I would be very interested in the marinade you made for it and how it turned out.
I just purchased some buffalo ground meat and wanted to try mixing it in with the sausage and ground beef in this recipe.
I need to find a cheaper source because I am craving burgers with the buffalo meat, but also want to try it in the meatloaf.  It was $5.00 a pound, ouch, so I am still searching.
Post your results.
I am going to try a pork tenderloin tonight.
I will let you know.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokinMoe</i>
<br />Bill,
Can you marinate ground beef?  
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

SM,
I fresh ground some chuck last week(course blade).  Put it in the tumbler and added some woster sauce and water for the liquid.  I think it was 2 TBSP woster 1 TBSP water and a TBSP of Red Eye Express rub(all this was per lb).  Tumbled for 10 minutes.  Formed some patties and grilled them up.  My 17 year old and I thought they were deliscious.  My wife and my 20 year old said they were to spicy.  Long story short the ground beef really sucks the marinade up.  Have fun.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

JJC

Hey Moe--just wanted to let you know that I tried the S+S meatloaf recipe you posted (with a few mods, noted below) and smoked it in the BS at 210F to an internal of 160F.  I was absolutely great!  Even my daughter, who has never liked meatloaf before, really liked this one.  I made two loaves, one with bacon on top, the other without. Both of them went directly on the non-stick-coated BS rack.  There wasn't any major difference in the two meatloaves, but the bacon sure was yummy!

The changes I made to the S+S recipe were out of necessity, not design:

1) used onion powder instead of real onions
2) didn't have any sour cream or plain yogurt
3) used Tabasco chipotle pepper sauce rather than regular Tabasco

Didn't have any bread crumbs handy and almost forgot the recipe, but finally it dawned on me . . . [:I]

I think the recipe is pretty flexible--I'm definitely going to try the sour cream next time.

Sammiches all weekend . . . can't wait [:p]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

BigSmoker

Try your silicone bakeware for the meatloaf(if you have any)[:D].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

SmokinMoe

I used the chiptole tabasco too, and I loved it. A small sample came with something I bought and I used it.  I ABSOLUTELY think it does wonders.  The second time I made the meatloaf, I didn't have it and I could tell the difference.
Glad everyone liked it.  It is very flexible.

Chez Bubba

Jeff,

I got it![;)][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

IKnowWood

Did this recipe this weekend.  Followed pretty much as it was in S&S other than the Tobasco Chipotle instead of regular Chipotle.

Even did the Beer Mop.  

In the last 30 minutes (which turned into 75 minutes) I spread on a Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce (Original Spicy).  

That was good.

Took longer with the beer mop to get to 160.  4 hours 45 minutes.  at 200 degrees.  In the last 30 minutes i raised it to 220.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

owrstrich

wood... got any left... i didnt think so...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

SmokinMoe

HOW was it?  I hope that you were happy with the recipe.  Makes me want to try it again!! We are having nice weather, so I think I will make one to surprise hubby, I haven't had the bradley fired up in about 6 months!

"If I have to cook, I may as well watch it all go up in smoke"

IKnowWood

It was amazing.  We used Pecan for the first time and this was real nice.  I got some in the fridge for sandwiches.  A great new favorite.  Might try the Jalepenos as well next time.

One interesting this was the end of the meatloff which had some "Bark" on it was not as smoky tasting as an inner layer.  I would have thought the reverse.

But it was good.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

iceman

Sounds real good. You should post this in the contest and enter a number.[:p]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokinMoe</i>
<br />SMOKE AND SPICE'S "AIN'T YOUR MOMMA'S MEATLOAF" I give them 100% of the credit.  Here is the recipe.  I used pecan and have used maple, but I am spoiled and can't get away from either of these.
I used an aluminum cheapo throw away pan to start it in and then just cut the end on each side, fold down the end and slide the meatloaf onto the jerky racks so that I don't worry it will break apart because of its own weight.  Just the way I do it, you can experiment!!
I don't saute my onions and the other things they say to do. I am lazy and it tastes fine to me.  But, just in case you have to follow to a T, take a T of veg. oil and saute all the ingredients up to the ground beef.
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 green or red bell pepper finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t freshly ground black pepper
1 t coarse salt, either kosher or sea salt
1/2 t ground cumin
1 1/4 pounds of ground beef
1/4 pound of ground pork
1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
3 T sour cream
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg
1/4 cup stock, preferably beef
1 t Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce to taste

Put smoker to 200 degrees. Mix everything together and make into a mound and put into a smoke-proof pan.  Smoke it for about 45 minutes (I think this is to firm it up so it won't break apart on a rack) and then transfer it to your rack and then cook it for another 1 1/2.  
Now, I never get off that easy with the time, so, I just put the probe in it and cooked until it was between 160-165 degrees.  AND, because I hate food poisoning, I probe it several different places before I pull it out.
I do a rack of bacon above it to keep it moist.  Your preference though.
Allow it to sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
They say to apply the bbq sauce with 30 minutes left to go on top of the meat loaf.  I DIDN'T do that with either of the loaves I did and they were fantastic.  I guess I didn't read that far down.
Have at it boys!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

icerat4

What about doing the meatloaf completly in the smoker from start to finish.Anyone ever do this .Kinda like they do in the video from bradley.Anyone on this.[:D]

SmokinMoe

That's how we did it.  Read the beginning of the thread.  I never took it out to finish in the oven.  It was excellent.