Ain't your Momma's meatloaf from S&S

Started by SmokinMoe, March 06, 2005, 04:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marxbrew

Y'all have totally convinced me! I'm off to the store to get makin's for meatloaf!

Dang, every time I read this forum I need a bib for the drool!  ;D

Film at 11!
--
Mark

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: marxbrew on December 10, 2006, 07:36:16 PM
Dang, every time I read this forum I need a bib for the drool!  ;D

I am assuming that you also need a drink...  8) 8) 8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

marxbrew

Did the meatloaf thing yesterday, and man, did it turn out good! I did a 4X on the posted recipe, using 5 lb hamburger and 1 lb Jimmy Dean pork sausage. Everything else per the recipe, except that I didn't bother sauteing (sp?) onions and stuff first.

I split the mix between 2 large loaf pans (foil ones) and packed it down tite. Then, I put the 2 pans under the broiler in the oven just for 2-3 minutes, to form a cooked firm crust on top of the loaves. Then, it was easy to just flip the pans over onto the racks, top side down, and lift off the pans to leave a perfect loaf sitting there. I highly recommend doing it this way!

Into smoker at noon, at 220, one loaf on each jerky rack, gave it 4 pucks of special blend. Held temp at 220 throughout, swapped racks once. Damper wide open through the whole period. Didn't BBQ sauce 'em, Catsup 'em, bacon 'em, or anything else, just let 'em cook.

At 5:30, they were both 160 internal. Pulled 'em, let 'em sit 10 minutes, and carved one seriously tasty meatloaf. Juicy and firm, perfectly done... There were only 4 of us, but we ate that whole loaf, and licked the serving tray! Everything said about this recipe is gospel... If you haven't tried it yet, you're really missing out on a treat! Now, I can't wait till lunch, and that meatloaf sandwich from the second loaf!

Next time, I think I'll go 6 pucks for a little more smoke flavor, but won't change another thing.
--
Mark

TxSmoker

I couldn't resist doing the meatloaf after reading 10 pages of oooo's and ahhhhh's! I did a combination of a few people's ideas:
I did omit the bell pepper, no one in our house likes them.
I went ahead and DID saute all of these:
1/2 cup minced onion (I used fresh finely chopped onion)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t freshly ground black pepper
1 t coarse salt, either kosher or sea salt
1/2 t ground cumin
The rest I did as called for in the recipe.
I then added bacon as called for by Smokehouse Rob. I did 4 pieces in the microwave for 3 min, chopped it up and added to the loaf. I added quite a bit of catsup on top, then topped with 1/2 bacon strips. I will add more bacon to the inside next time.
I also took Chez Bubba's idea and put two pieces of string cheese in the middle. I put one near the bottom, covered with meat, and then another piece higher up. You can just start to see the cheese in the picture of the finished product. Personally I couldn't taste the cheese much, I think next time I will try extra sharp chedder, which is my favorite.
I smoked it for 2 hrs with maple. Cut off the smoke and cooked for another 1.5 hrs until 160 deg.
I did not use a pan. I sprayed pam on the jerky rack, and put it straight on. I had no problems.
This meatloaf was Grrrrrrreat!!! I did feel it was a little dry, so I think next time I will cut back on the bread crumbs. Anyone who has not tried this, MUST!! This site is so great, there are sooooo many things I want to try! Steve

West Coast Kansan

Looks great TxS.

I will pack mine into a tin loaf pan - well sprayed. And then set in the freezer for a few minutes while the smoker heats. By that time I can just flip the loaf over and it is firm enough to set on the racks without any separation.  IR4 makes nice sized little round loafs.  Looks like a good idea as well for keeping things together due to smaller size.

Really like the way this can be tuned for taste.  This is one area I am granted flexibility to add some zip!  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

iceman

That is one fine looking meal Steve. I got Ann hooked on those awhile back. Seems like every few weeks it's some in the smoker now. :D

begolf25

Man that looks good TxSmoker.  I am glad you dug this thread back up. I forgot how good the meatloaf was. I think I might have to throw one in this weekend!

Wildcat

Yeah, meat loaf is getting closer to the front of the line on my "to do" list.  Nice job!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

SmokinMoe

Well, it was my first smoke of the season, and of course, it was the marvelous meatloaf.
This time, I did saute everything as per the recipe.
I forgot the internal temp was supposed to be 165, and I did it for 180.  Whoops, but it was good.
I didn't have bacon, because I used it up for breakfast BUT here is what I did.
I used uncured bacon with no nitrates this morning, so I just used the bacon grease from the morning and slathered it over the top of the loaf.  I think it worked wonders since I overcooked it by 15 degrees.  What a save!!!!!!
Glad to be back in the saddle. 

"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

icerat4

Thanks alot for this find Smokinmoe.I do 8 of these at a time i just make them into 1 pounders this way its a lil lunch snack or so.As you can see from the pics there great and what a hit with everyone So once again thanks  ;)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Malc

Finally tried this.  I did a meatloaf and a small turkey at the same time.  Had the parents over to try both.  (They bought me the smoker, because they knew I would be doing things like this all the time.)  Well, nobody touched the turkey past the initial taste(not that they didn't like it).  All they could talk about was the meatloaf.  Definitely goes into the weekly regimen.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

fatandhappy

LIKE MY WIFE SAYS YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH MEAT LOAF

icerat4

I just wanted to bring this up too all the newbies.This is a real hit trust me.Easy to do and great tasting.Give it a try guys you wont be dissappointed ;D ;D ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

MRH

With all the raving here I tried it last weekend, it was ok but i was expecting a lot more. Since reading all these posts.  I didn't use the beer mop could that have been the difference? I did add some of Icemans sauce when eating it, that did help it a lot!

Mark

Habanero Smoker

I've done these, and use my own meat loaf recipes. I always make them in 1/2 pound loafs or logs. I often insert a slab of cheese, or sautéed vegetables inside the logs. I've never used a mop, but may finish them off under the broiler after applying a sauce on top. They are pretty good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)