Ain't your Momma's meatloaf from S&S

Started by SmokinMoe, March 06, 2005, 04:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat

Finally got around to trying this.  Wife said it was wonderful, but I only thought it was alright.  To me, taste and texture was a little off.  Iceman's sauce was a great help! :D  IMHO I think the recipe called for too much bread crumbs.  Will cut that amount in half next time.  I followed the recipe to the letter except we do not care for bell pepper, and the youngster does not like to see onion (claims he does not like it  ::) ) so I left out the bell pepper and onion and used onion powder instead.  I smoked for 2 hours at 210 F with pecan.  May use Hickory next time as I love a good strong smoke flavor.  Total cook time to 163 F was 3 hours.  The meatloaf basket I purchased from Brinkman was perfect for the job.  Extremely easy to clean afterward.  I plan to get one or two more of them.  Now if I can remember how to put these photo's on.

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

MRH

Wildcat,

Pretty much the reaction I had, Ice's sauce does help for sure!  I think it was better the next day as leftovers though.

Mark

Wildcat

I am hoping so but no big deal if not.  Like I said, it was alright just did not have the wow factor I was expecting.  I had a little concern when I was mixing in all those bread crumbs.  My wife loved it, so in the future I will probably have to make 2.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Not sure you need all those capers in the lower right corner...........    :D

Sparkler

coyote

Very nice Wildcat................now please pass the mashed potatos , I love taters ;)

Coyote

Habanero Smoker

Wildcat;
I'm glad you and MRH mentioned the taste and texture of Smoke & Spice's meatloaf recipe. I used it once and did not like it. I use my own favorite meatloaf recipe. Also try using either Maple or Oak for your smoke next time.

I like that meatloaf basket.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

This is what i call meatloaf MANIA.Boy this is good eatin huh.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

tsquared

Rat-If you're running out of freezer space for those foodsaver packages, there's room in mine right now--salmon season is only beginning! :P Wow, those look good!
T2

hillbillysmoker

Now this is enough to make a grown man drool.  Good looking meatloaf for sure.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on May 19, 2007, 06:55:09 PM
Not sure you need all those capers in the lower right corner...........    :D

Sparkler

Sorry, but I ate 3/4 of them.

Quote from: coyote on May 19, 2007, 08:58:25 PM
Very nice Wildcat................now please pass the mashed potatos , I love taters ;)

Coyote

Thanks.  Sorry, I ate about half of it and 4 slices of the meat loaf as well.  Paid for it last night as I was about to pop!

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 20, 2007, 04:14:08 AM
Wildcat;
I'm glad you and MRH mentioned the taste and texture of Smoke & Spice's meatloaf recipe. I used it once and did not like it. I use my own favorite meatloaf recipe. Also try using either Maple or Oak for your smoke next time.

I like that meatloaf basket.

I just got in a shipment of some maple from Chez and may try it eventually.  I like a strong smoke flavor on beef.  Is your recipe posted?  How about yours Rat?  I like the individual serving size, but will wait until I have the recipe I like first.  This basket is wonderful!  It will hold somewhere between 2 and 3 pounds of meatloaf and is super easy to clean.  Just a few minutes of hot water soak and wipe clean.

Does anyone out there know what the purpose of sour cream is in the S&S recipe?  Does it change texture or just adds flavor?  I thought it was odd.

West Coast Kansan

Looks like dinner cat.  The great thing about meatloaf is you can set a baseline like you have now and take it where you really want it  ;) My wife is a bit on the soft smoke side and liked the origional real well.  I looked for the tomato style posted a couple of weeks ago.  That will be my next variation assuming I find the post.   ;D The moisture in the onions / peppers / cc / i think really helps with the texture.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

MWS

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on May 20, 2007, 12:07:24 PM
I looked for the tomato style posted a couple of weeks ago.  That will be my next variation assuming I find the post.   ;D The moisture in the onions / peppers / cc / i think really helps with the texture.

Is this the meatloaf recipe WCK?  It's the one I did a couple of weeks ago using a recipe from 'Tylers Ultimate' Food TV episode. If anyone is interested. It's by far my favourite...As WCK mentions, the tomato relish really adds to a nice moist texture and great flavor.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_33621,00.html

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Habanero Smoker

Wildcat;

I'm not sure if I ever posted it. If I did it would be in this thread. I got the recipe while watching CBS Saturday Morning Show. I know I have it on my hard drive, and will post it latter. Over the years I've made some modifications, but it's a real good meatloaf recipe.

Edited:
Here's a link to the recipe I have modified. Prepare the meat loaf as directed in the recipe, and use the smoking techniques for the BS. I do recall that I stop using croutons, I no longer draped pancetta over the top, and only cook to an internal temperature of 160°F
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=1237.75

I almost forgot about this site:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/meatloaf/meatloaf.html

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

You are right WCK.  The baseline is what I try to establish on everything.  The meatloaf I did was not dry nor overly moist.  The best I can describe it is there seemed to be so much bread that it seemed like meat flavored bread.  I am positive this was what I did not like about it.

Thanks Habs, I will take a look at those.  I am new at meatloaf because I do very little indoor cooking, but since I do love meat loaf, love a smoke flavor and now have a BS, I will eventually master this thing to my taste.  At least this requires very little time and is cheap to boot.  IMHO a must for those folks on a limited time or budget.  This was actually easier to do than chicken.

icerat4

1/2 cup to a pound of meat is my rule.Just my 2 cents.Ya gota feel the texture out on this .Go less CRUMBS ya can always add more.Ok thats 3 cents. ;D ;D Also differnt sizes of crumbs .So make sure its a finer grain .4 cents ok im done.lol

Just another weekend with the smoker...