Need help building PID

Started by bates1sniper, November 06, 2009, 08:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bates1sniper

Hey guy's new to all this stuff. I have been reading some posts on PID's but they seem pretty old. Can anyone help me on exactly what I need to buy to regulate my hotplate? Anyone have a drawing on how to wire one out? Or if you have one a picture would be really great. In the process of welding up my smoker and figured I better get the Temp Control of it figured out.
Thanks for your time a patience

Sniper

westexasmoker

Quote from: bates1sniper on November 06, 2009, 08:46:38 AM
Hey guy's new to all this stuff. I have been reading some posts on PID's but they seem pretty old. Can anyone help me on exactly what I need to buy to regulate my hotplate? Anyone have a drawing on how to wire one out? Or if you have one a picture would be really great. In the process of welding up my smoker and figured I better get the Temp Control of it figured out.
Thanks for your time a patience

Sniper

Welcome to the forum Sniper!

Here's a link to the plans for a PID....I built mine from these, and if I can do it anyone can!

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum bates1sniper!

WTS has you pointed in the right direction.

I purchased a "plug-and-play" PID, but for your application it sounds like you should probably build one.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hopefull Romantic

Welcome to the forum bates1sniper.

I, like squirtthe cat have also purchased a plug and play PID. Here is the link for you:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14

Good luck

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on November 06, 2009, 08:58:50 AM
Welcome to the forum bates1sniper.

I, like squirtthe cat have also purchased a plug and play PID. Here is the link for you:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14

Good luck

HR

I think HR is referring to FLBentRider  ;), as I just have a Ranco temperature controller..  It works fine for simple temperature control, but that is about all it does.  You can't do any kind of fancy programming with it, like you can with a proper PID.

pensrock

I built my own using a Honeywell industrial temperature controller. But many on here use an instrument from Auber and they seem to work very well and cheap. I prebuilt unit from Auber is around 150.00 and to build one is around 100.00. The prebuilt unit has the ability to program a few steps which can be useful in certain situations, The one I priced out for the 100.00 build has no programming ability, but you can upgrade to get that function for more money. If it were me, I would buy the prebuilt unit. IMHO

squirtthecat

bates1sniper

WTS,
Thanks for that page. That is exactly what I was looking for.
Now that PID looks like it gives you two temperatures. One for what you set it at, and the actual as it comes up to what you set. Is that correct?
So do those plug in plays do that also or it is just the temp you set it for to stay at?
Does that make sense?

Sniper

OU812

Welcome to the fun, sniper.

I got my PID be fore they had the programable ones but it does what I want it to do.

As far as the display, You push the lower left button once to set the time, twice to set the temp the next press will put to the running mode. Then all you see is the current temp and not the set temp. They are only rated at 15 amp so that will limit the size of your heating element.

Quarlow

The Auber plug and play does temp ramps at whatever you set it to. I don't know if it will shut off at desired IT but it has an alarm for IT temp.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Quarlow on November 06, 2009, 01:42:41 PM
The Auber plug and play does temp ramps at whatever you set it to. I don't know if it will shut off at desired IT but it has an alarm for IT temp.

You are right Q but I think that Joehifis made something to do just that (to shut off when the desired IT is reached). I believe he had to use three PIDs to achieve that.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

mikeradio

I was talking with Auber a couple of weeks ago, he is working on a plug and play controller, that has 2 probes 1 for cabinet temp and 1 for the IT of the meat.  Sounded very interesting.

Mike

pensrock

Quote from: mikeradio on November 07, 2009, 09:33:53 AM
I was talking with Auber a couple of weeks ago, he is working on a plug and play controller, that has 2 probes 1 for cabinet temp and 1 for the IT of the meat.  Sounded very interesting.

Mike

They should be able to do this, I think its called 'cascade tuning'. That is how the BBQ GURU works also. We had a couple applications for heat treating that we built in the shop but I did not get to work with them to really get into it.

JoeHifi

HR, mikeradio, pensrock,

That sounds like that will be the way to go.

Probably less expensive than a PLC, or two or three current off the shelf PIDs.

Joe

JoeHifi

pensrock,

What kind of money for a PLC like yours plus the tools to program it?

Thanks,

Joe