Need help building PID

Started by bates1sniper, November 06, 2009, 08:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

Quote from: JoeHifi on November 07, 2009, 01:10:35 PM
pensrock,

What kind of money for a PLC like yours plus the tools to program it?

Thanks,

Joe

To build a PID like mine would cost more than the smoker. I had the temperature controller given to me by one of our customers who upgraded their furnace to another controller. I had to do a couple repairs but it works great. It would be a lot less expensive to buy from Auber and still get the same results. Thats what I would have done if I did not get this for free. You do not need anything special to program it. Once its set up the only changes would be ramp rates, temp settings and if you added a timer like I did, setting the time.
I almost went all out and put a PLC with a touch screen in but it really was not needed for what I do. It would have looked cool though.
A friend from town just called and was asking about Bradley smokers and I told him if he wanted to set it and forget it as far as temperature goes, to look at the Auber control. I have not seen or used one but the people here that have them seem to really like them.

JoeHifi

pensrock,

Thanks.

I had no idea they were that expensive.

Joe

pensrock

Quote from: JoeHifi on November 07, 2009, 06:43:17 PM
pensrock,

Thanks.

I had no idea they were that expensive.

Joe

What I have is for industrial control, not something you would expect to see on a smoker thats for sure. That is why the units from Auber are so popular. They do the job and they also have very good service at a really good price. If your serious about building one or buying one already made and ready to go, you really should look at their web site.

JoeHifi

pensrock,

I'm the guy using three Auber PIDs. Cook, hold and IT.

Approximately $126.00 for PIDs. Maybe another $20 or so for fuse holders, a circuit breaker, and
some toggle switches.

Joe

pensrock

OK Joe, when you asked about the price I assumed you wanted to buy/build a simple controller set up. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: mikeradio on November 07, 2009, 09:33:53 AM
I was talking with Auber a couple of weeks ago, he is working on a plug and play controller, that has 2 probes 1 for cabinet temp and 1 for the IT of the meat.  Sounded very interesting.

Mike

Man I only had my PID for a couple of months and now there is a new one coming out. How to jsutify that to the MRS. I have no idea.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

JoeHifi

Quote from: pensrock on November 08, 2009, 06:52:17 AM
OK Joe, when you asked about the price I assumed you wanted to buy/build a simple controller set up. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

No problem pensrock.

I was thinking that a PLC would be even slicker.  And perhaps it would be.
However my funds are too limited at this time.

Joe

JoeHifi

HR,

Perhaps it could control something else.  It's definitely overkill as a room thermostat.
I have seen them used to run a chest freezer as a refrigerator.

Just a thought.

Joe

Hopefull Romantic

Thanks Joe.

I you get a word when they finish it up and ready for sale, I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Roadking

I just finished reading this thread and I'm laughing my butt off.
I just was thinking of making a PID to control my Bradley out of the Allen Bradley equipment I have on hand. Figure what I need using the minimum amount and figured it out to close to $14,000.00 I'd have to use a PLC 5-80, a full rack, power supply, output card, ssr, analog input card, and maybe a Panelview 1200. It's fun to build and write the logic, probably 5-6 rungs using block transfers. But it's not economical since I can use the equipment on a customer. Also the power consumption without the heater running, da. Smallest processor I have is the PLC 5-80 talk about overkill, I ran a 300' spray booth with 12 Fanuc robots handling 32 paint menus. Na, I'd purchase the Auber.