Using vacuum to cure

Started by adeplonty, November 06, 2009, 02:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adeplonty

Has anyone tried vacuum packing when curing anything?

KyNola

I have.  Vac sealed pork loins making canadian bacon.  My personal opinion is it took off about a day's worth of time to cure in my opinion.  Depending on what you're curing my guess would be about a 25% curing time savings.

KyNola

OU812

I vacuum seal every thing I dry cure and as KyNola has stated it will speed up your cure time. Just remember to wrap the meat in plastic wrap be for you put in the vac bags, it keeps the juices were they belong, next to the meat.

FLBentRider

I tried that once, with some pastrami.

Getting the meat in the vac bag was a B!tch to keep the cure and spices out of the seal area.

I gave up.

I assume there's a trick to that ?

Getting a whole brisket in a vac bag as my first attempt was probably an epic failure anyway. Sorta like meat wrestling.

;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum adeplonty!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

oakville smoker

I vac pac everything, just use a different size bag depending on what I am curing.
It takes a touch of patience but I think its worth it. I have vac pac'd a 7.5 lb briskett for pastrami with no issues.

I have a couple of loins in the fridge curing right now, they went in Tuesday night.  Vac pac'd, no problem.
I just assumed a 6 day cure time, should I be going at 4 days as the loins are vac sealed?
Every ounce of air got sucked out of these babies before meeting the fridge.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

OU812

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 06, 2009, 03:37:40 PM
I tried that once, with some pastrami.

Getting the meat in the vac bag was a B!tch to keep the cure and spices out of the seal area.

I gave up.

I assume there's a trick to that ?

Getting a whole brisket in a vac bag as my first attempt was probably an epic failure anyway. Sorta like meat wrestling.

;D

That's another reason I like to wrap in plastic first, keeps the spices were they belong too.

FLBentRider

Quote from: OU812 on November 06, 2009, 03:52:57 PM
That's another reason I like to wrap in plastic first, keeps the spices were they belong too.

I didn't think of that....

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

So how about using vacuum packing for marinating or brining (in a Foodsaver or Reveo container or something similar)?

Is it more effective?

Does it reduce the brine/marinate time?

Hopefull Romantic

I
Quote from: Ka Honu on November 06, 2009, 06:33:24 PM
So how about using vacuum packing for marinating or brining (in a Foodsaver or Reveo container or something similar)?

Is it more effective?

Does it reduce the brine/marinate time?

Ka Honu, I have a marinitor similar to the Reveo and I use it now for all my small smokes marinations and it is great. On the inside of the canister, it has a jagged panel that massages the meat as it rotates in the marinade. It has a preset cycle of 9 minutes but I usualy go for two cycles especially with skinned meat. I can not say for a fact that it would be similar to long marination, but the the flavor is very noticable and just as good.

Oh welcome to the forum Adeplonty.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

georgeamer

I use "FoodSaver" vacum caniaters...

OU812

Quote from: georgeamer on November 10, 2009, 01:11:26 PM
I use "FoodSaver" vacum caniaters...

I use the containers for my brown sugar, corn syrup solids, cures and any other additive I want to keep fresh.

kodiak1

I use the vaccuum containers for marinading steaks, jerky, fish pretty much everything.

Ken.
Love to Live, Live to Shoot!!!!

Shoot it, Smoke it, Eat it!!!!!

Daveo

I've done bacon a few times in vac bags.I was concerned that the juices couldn't"circulate"around the meat so I started sealing the bag a couple of seconds early,so there is no air but the bag is just slightly loose.Seems to make it easier to redistribute the cure during it's daily massages/flips,while still keeping it in full contact with the meat.
Does it work better?I have no idea.My bacon goes two weeks with maple sugar/brown sugar/maple syrup cure and is to die for,for what that's worth. :) 

wyogoob

Used vacuum curing for curing pastrami a couple of times when I was squeezed for time.

It's fine. I should do it more often.
Life's been good to me so far.