Cold smoked seafood

Started by Brad Stab, November 07, 2009, 05:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Stab

Can't get enough of my new Bradley smoker. Tonight I did a quick seafood brine and cold smoked for 1.5 hours. Salmon, scallops and shrimp. Then simply baked at 500 f for 15 minutes. Not a good photo, but I'm working on my skills.

You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

ArnieM

Looks interesting Brad.  So, how did you like the finished product?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

I'd eat that even without all the FOO FOO sauces on the side!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Brad Stab

Foo Foo sauce actually are a mayo based horseradish sauce and the brown is vaunted vinegar sauce. With that said, the salmon was the prize. It was so buttery with a delicate exterior. Second was the shrimp. Lightly smoked and a nice spicy finish. Scallops..so-so. Not enough fat/oil to my liking on the smoker. Seafood cakes and chowder in the near future.Sunday Morning will be home made bagels with a smoked salmon and cream cheese "shmear"

ArnieM

Don't listen to 10.5 Brad.  The "FOO FOO" sauce makes for a very nice presentation, even though I don't present that way.  I put food on a dish.

I was thinking that the scallop, stuffed with a small Thai pepper or a sliver of Jalapeno and wrapped in bacon might be interesting.  It looks a little dry the way it is.

Very nice looking dish  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

Brad,
That's a beauty.

I know you're classically trained.  Cordon Bleu, CIA ?

KyNola

Brad Stab

Quote from: KyNola on November 07, 2009, 07:56:10 PM
Brad,
That's a beauty.

I know you're classically trained.  Cordon Bleu, CIA ?

KyNola

Thank you very much, I'm amazed and so thankful to be able to learn from you all. I'm a Johnson & Wales guy 1980, studied in Napa at the School for American Chefs 1990 and the CIA  Napa 2000

Pachanga

Brad,

Very nice.  I am a believer in plating but I have a lot of work to do in that area.  Taste starts with the eye.  I am working on my sauces.  I have Mexican salsas and sauces down pretty well but I'm weak in most other areas.  My quick pan sauces are sometimes excellent but some never make it to the plate.

Keep posting.  I love the education.  The photo sure looks fine to me.

Pachanga

KyNola

J & W huh?  I have a friend who went there as well.  He is a great chef.  Obviously you're not too shabby yourself! ;)

KyNola

Hopefull Romantic

I agree with Pachanga. The photo is fine and so is every thing in it, including the "Foo Foo" sauces.

Great work on the presentation as well. All around great job

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: ArnieM on November 07, 2009, 07:08:10 PM
Don't listen to 10.5 Brad.  The "FOO FOO" sauce makes for a very nice presentation, even though I don't present that way.  I put food on a dish.

I was thinking that the scallop, stuffed with a small Thai pepper or a sliver of Jalapeno and wrapped in bacon might be interesting.  It looks a little dry the way it is.

Very nice looking dish  :D

OH SURE I SEE HOW IT IS!!! I pick on Brad about his FOO FOO sauces and its jump on Tenpoint day. I said I would eat it even if it didnt have the added sauces BUT now that I know one of them is horseradish that one has to stay.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Brad Stab

Brad Stab

Quote from: ArnieM on November 07, 2009, 07:08:10 PM

Arnie, I like your idea. Kind of like a kicked up rumaki.
Thanks

seemore

Brad, this site is awesome!

P.S.  I love the saying at the bottom -  the only REO Speedwagon "album" I ever owned!!

Mrs.

seemore

Incidentally, the seafood is the bomb!!!