WTS dinner

Started by westexasmoker, November 08, 2009, 02:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Getting dinner ready for tonight, well actually started yesterday for dinner tonight!  2 briskets all rubbed up and happy waiting for the smoker to come up to temp.

After 8 hours in the smoker, with mesquite of course!

And after 12 more hours cook time...Time to wrap up tight and FTC for a bit, and get started on some side dishes!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Brad Stab

What does "FTC" mean?
Thanks
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

Pachanga

Brad,

FTC equals Foil, Towel, Cooler which is not only common to this board but in competition and other boards.  I smoke my brisket uncovered or unwrapped and then when it is ready and pulled, it is wrapped in foil, then a towel and then into a cooler for several hours. The temperature will hold at close to optimum for continuing to melt the collagen and connective tissue.  It can make for a more tender brisket.  The juices also set during this period of rest.

This will also give you a hold time for serving in case you have an uncooperative brisket.  The Brisket will be adequately hot for serving several hours later.

There is a picture in one of my posts: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12061.0

It is not an absolutely necessary step.  I have served many a tender, moist brisket with just a brief rest.

Looks good WTS.  20 hours.  I'll be that is one two tender briskets.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

seemore

Awesome as always, West Texas!
We have done three briskets so far, and they have been great, but the bark on them does not compare to yours.
Do you leave them in for a full eight-hour smoke?  How do you get such a nice bark?

seemore

westexasmoker

Quote from: seemore on November 08, 2009, 03:38:59 PM
Awesome as always, West Texas!
We have done three briskets so far, and they have been great, but the bark on them does not compare to yours.
Do you leave them in for a full eight-hour smoke?  How do you get such a nice bark?

seemore

These were done in the offset for the 8 hour smoke..so yep smoke the whole time.  The way I get a good bark is a liberal coating of rub and mesquite smoke....and I mean don't be shy with that rub!  Some use the mustard slather, not gonna knock it one way or the other, IMHO that will not help.  Had to do these in the offset due to the OBS full of ABT's and some pork loin (mustard went on that!) But nonetheless offset or BS...heat is heat and smoke is smoke.  The difference with the two smokers is alot of hassle with the offset, but temp recovery in the BS takes a bit longer, and I guess the smoke ring but really that is just for looks and does not affect taste.  Just remember low and slow....its almost impossible to overcook a brisket!

C

Tenpoint5

WTS,

Those look awesome, Great Bark!!!! Since you can only eat one send me the other one.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HawkeyeSmokes

WTS, once again a great looking brisket! You do have a way with those.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

KyNola

Nice going WTS.  Incredible as always.

KyNola

westexasmoker

Dinner time....some pintos and tater salad (thats a good place for mustard)

C

seemore

wts OMG...........thanks .................
seemore

Hopefull Romantic

Great brisket, great bark, great misquite and OH yah........ Great cook at the helm.

As usual well done WTS

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

JGW

I know me and WTS think alike when it comes to brisket,....well other than choice of wood  ;D  (I like Oak, but....)

Looks great, WTS.

As an aside...one of the best briskets I've ever cooked was done with nothing but salt, pepper, and (GASP!) mesquite.   ;D  (Sue me, I'm from Texas)   :)

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: JGW on November 09, 2009, 06:36:16 PM
I know me and WTS think alike when it comes to brisket,....well other than choice of wood  ;D  (I like Oak, but....)

You proved that one JGW with the brisket throwdown! Sure did enjoy it and hope to see more of your smokes!
HawkeyeSmokes